Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Small steps. Update to project.
As time permits, I have been working on it. (Code for, life not letting me work on it.)
I decided to do some basic checks to make sure I was not chasing my tail on this one. So, did a compression check on the motor (it was a craigslist motor) and found that the motor is tight. 195, 190, 200, 195. Pretty good looking motor. Not bad for a 130k mile motor.
So, I decided to go old school on the tuning for now. I turned off the O2 sensor, and just did plug reads. (See photo for where I started.) Way too rich. Badly rich. So, I really turned the fuel down and the motor almost immediately was idling better. Spent about an hour playing with just the tune. Drove it up and down the street and it is running much better. Trouble is, I am just doing spot changes. In other words, drive it, see where the engine is running at as per the table, and just adjusted those values. That means I need to log and make some bulk changes and check the plugs again.
So, I am starting to think the WB O2 sensor is bad, as throughout this exercise, it reads 19-20. I do not think the engine would even run that lean.
Well, more as I get some more time next week I should be able to make much more progress.
Small side note: I am using the stock 200 radiator, and the motor never got over 170 degrees. Using a small electric fan.