LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 wheels now fit with no interference!

The clearance problem is fixed...

Here's some pics of the clearance with the 10mm (passenger side) and then with the 15mm spacer. I am showing also the outer clearance with 15mm.

So, if anyone wants to know, I am using 1998 C230 15x7 wheels with 205/60/15 tires. The best setup uses 15mm spacers front and rear. I still have to do a bunch of driving to make sure there is not a case of rubbing.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass_wheel_clearance_10mm.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1011586   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass_wheel_clearance_Inner_15mm.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1011594   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass_wheel_clearance_outer_15mm.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1011602  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Sway bar droplinks upgrade.

Some more minor progress.

Removed the old droplinks to the swaybar and put on polyurethane replacements.

Pics: One showing the old, dried out worn bushings and the new droplink fit.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	olddroplinks.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	1012313   Click image for larger version

Name:	newdroplinks.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1012321  
post #113 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Another small status update.

Spent some time driving the car today, and tuning. Fixed the cold/hot start problem. There is an enrichment setting right after start to aid the car in idling. I had it set too high. I am now at 20% and it starts on first crank now.

Did some investigation, and came to the conclusion that i was way too conservative on ignition. So, I added 2 degrees across the table with all timing in at 4000 rpm. (Still on the safe side until I get this on a dyno.)

Much better throttle response, and even easier to drive. (it was good before, just better now.) I pushed on the car some more, and even then I only hit 5400 rpm max.

Tweaked the tables some more and it's getting closer. Still have some lean conditions, such as 3300rpm/80kpa (map).

Here's my log and scattergram.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MSLog_8-3-2014.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1066665   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSLog_scatter_8-3-2014.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1066673  
post #114 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
New driveshaft

Status Update: 01/19/2015

Happy New year.

Been driving it much more and noticed that I get a fair amount of vibration at higher RPM and a "buzz" when you let off the throttle. After a bit of thought, I believed it was driveshaft vibration. So, car went up in the air, and I inspected the driveshaft. The doughnuts were completely shot. Ok, no problem. Out came the the driveshaft, and I looked at it, and thought it might be good to have it looked it and maybe refurbished.

So, I took it to Southbay Driveline in San Jose. First thing he found, was that the damn thing was crooked. So, after a discussion, I opted for a completely new custom two-piece driveshaft that could take MUCH more abuse. Ok, it may be a little overkill.

Here's some before and after pictures. First one shows the old driveshaft, the second is a close of the new shaft and yoke, and the last shows the driveshaft in the jig making sure it was straight, and balanced. Should have it back this weekend.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old_ds_small.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1289849   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_ds_close.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1289857   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_ds_fixture.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1289865  
post #115 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Exclamation Harmonics

Sonofagun ~

That's good you caught it in time as the snout doesn't always hold up when the rubber discs crumble , many Mercedes met an untimely end when the drive shaft came loose and stabbed it to death @ speed .

There's a (?) '71 220D for sale in L.A. , unrestored and bad upholstery , they're asking $6,800 " !FIRM! " for it so I imagine it'll have a very more years sitting un sold yet .

How's the fuel economy ? what typ of driving are you doing ? in town , freeway , etc. ?.

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #116 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I have not been recording the mileage yet. Mostly due to the fuel sending unit being messed up, and the speedo not working.

Most of the driving is in town and not freeway. When i have some figures I will report.

I have seen a couple of finnies for high dollars, but I don't see them sold. (There was one on youtube for sale.)

-- brett
post #117 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Status update: Stereo, hand brake, third brake light

Progress is always slow, a little at a time. Overtime it does add up. Problem for me, is that I do something, don't like it, take it apart and do it again. I am not a professional mechanic, as this is a hobby. Funny thing is, I have taken this and other cars to "professionals" and end up redoing their work. And they cost a small fortune. Don't get me started about an AC install on my 1936 ford, that they quoted $2500 and ended up costing north of $6000! (They billed me without an updated quote!)

Anyway, rant off. Here's my updated checklist, and some pictures of my latest changes. Items in red are completed.

Chasis/suspension
1. Rear end must be changed out for a 3.27 (it's a 4.1 now)
2. Emergency brake has to be changed from the underdash to a center tunnel pull handle. (Summitt has a couple that should do the trick.) http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...000f/overview/
3. Lower the vehicle. I am leaning toward airbags at the moment. Airlift has a kit that looks promising. http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...7110/overview/
4. May have to move to power steering. The larger tires make it challenging to steer at low speed.
5. Fix/upgrade sub frame mounts.

Interior
1. Head rests. This is a safety item, and a must for daily driving with the heavy traffic around here in San Jose. I will either modify the originals, use later model MB seats, such as 280, or aftermarket vintage seats.
2. Three point seat belts.
3. Modern AC. It has the original AC unit in the car, but its not up to modern specs. I am looking at Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - Underdash A/C Systems - 200 Series
4. Gauges have to work, currently do not. I am fabricating a console for aftermarket gauges for now, but do want the originals to work.
5. Redo dash to wood veneer. Already have the veneer picked out, just need to do the work.
6. Restore original steering wheel.
7. Clean up tunnel modification that was done to clear the 6-speed trans.
8. Carpet the interior.
9. All weather trim needs to be replaced.
10. Central locking.
11. Git rid of the POS radio. Either Custom Audio or Retrosound. Whatever fits looks wise.
12. Install third brake light.

Engine
1. Swap the C230 throttle body out for a different one. (Or fix the high idle. Could be the IAC is not working correctly.)
2. Dynotune the engine. Factory rating is 147 hp. I am hoping for at least that. It's possible to go as high as 170hp as there is a header, cold air intake and aftermarket ECU.
3. Clean up wiring.
4. Detail the engine bay.
5. May move the battery to the trunk.
6. May have the radiator recored to larger.
7. Install a larger electric fan. If this fixes the idling cooling issues, then it's done. It gets to 210 when idling.

Exterior
1. Staighten and re-chrome orignal bumpers. Front and rear need to be done.
2. Fix all the little dents and re-do the repair to front fender.
3. Repaint. More than likely the original color.
4. Front windshield needs to be resealed.
5. Door lock/tumblers need work.

The PO installed a aftermarket stereo that was a slight butcher job. So, getting a nice fitment of the Retrosound unit took more work than I expected.

The handbrake, I need to fabricate a "cover" and then I can mount the boot.

Third brake light is a Ron Francis unit, and looks nice, and I managed to do a neat install that is loomed into the factory harness.

Oh, and the gear shift knob is kind of a hint that something is different about this merc.

You can also see my aftermarket gauges that I am using for now. Still need to add a speedo.

This is still a work in progress and nowhere near done. Forgive me for the sloppy wiring that i still need to dress.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thirdbrakelight.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1369170   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1369178  
post #118 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Post PROGRESS !

Thanx for the up date .
The gauges are dead simple , they prolly work fine and just need proper power , grounds and connection to their senders .

VDO gauges look very nice but are really cheap and simple so any Speedo Shop can easily repair them once you take them out .

90 + % of the time , the dash binnacle's ground path has been corrupted , you only need add a brown wire between the metal binnacle and the body .

No big deal on the time line , you're driving and enjoying it now , that's the main thing .

I took the engine & tranny out of my Morris Minor last June and have had so many " Might As Wells " I stalled in it and am now working on my old truck , I hope to get the Morris buttoned up this summer , right after I do the AC & custom radiator in my Mercedes Coupe .

The AC , I bet that properly servicing it : flushing the evaporator and hoses , replacing the expansion valve and receiver - dryer plus maybe replacing the condensor with the biggest one you can fit being sure to leave the all important minimum 1/4" gap between it and the radiators core , then re charging it with proper R-12 , will make it ICE COLD again ~ these were pretty good when new , adding a larger condensor makes the heat transfer much more efficient .

The main thing with older AC Units is : flushing the accumulated crud , oil & debris out , replacing the expansion valve , adding a couple ounces of PAG oil
then properly charging it with R-12 as the new R-134a stuff isn't as efficient although it will work well *if* you know the proper maximum pressure to use .

210° F @ hot idle isn't overheating ~ it's *perfect* .

Electric fans are always better than the stock fan , remember to wire it via a relay powered by fused battery power , not the dash board's fusebox and wire it live so it'l come on after the key is off when it heat soaks on hot days .
Keep uo the good work ! .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #119 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Small cosmetic update: Kind of an experiment. The original glovebox was just painted black. I love woodgrain finishes. So, I stripped off the original paint, which was flaking off anyway.

but first, thanks for the comments Nate. I can't use the original gauges, as I am using a C230 motor, and the sensors will not work with the original cluster. But, I will figure out a way. so, for now, its the aftermarket gauges.

Back the glove box. I stained the door with cherry, and varnish over it. I still need to finish sand it and a final coat. I also took off the original trim and dropped it in a tumbler to polish it back. Worked great! Got to love the original mercedes trim and how easy it is to bring back the shine.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	barebox.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1380817   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxtrim.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1380825   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxcomplete.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1380833  
post #120 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Looks nice ! .

Wood always looks so good but requires periodic Mtce. I am unwilling to provide .

Your efforts here will reward you for decades .

FWIW , the gauges are easy to useon any engine if you so desire .

The original senders can be used , the oil pressure gauge IIRC is Mechanical so that's the simplest one , the temp. gauge too , all you needs do is find a sender with matching range .

VDO uses pretty much the same ranges so VW's , Porches , Audis , old Opels etc. are all fodder for good gauges and matching senders .

As you might have guessed , I have done this many times over .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in