post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shifter bulb

Hello everyone,

I have a '77 280SE and I am trying to get my shifter bulb to light up, the rest of the bulbs light up fine. Is there a grounding wire that connects to one of the bolts that hold down the selector? I am in the process of restoring my car, and I keep running into small mishaps like this, but I enjoy it anyway.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I found the problem, thanks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1983 240d AT; 1993 e320 AT
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1 View Post
I found the problem, thanks.
What was it? Could you share with me? i have a similar problem... only worst since none of the indicator lights work. Maybe you have photos to share what you did.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Basically I had some wires that I didn't know where they went, brown wires. I knew that there were two wires connected to the bulb housing itself, one is brown, the other I think is purple and white. I had to cut off another bulb housing from a salvage car, and soldered it to my existing wires. My problem was this, I had the wrong brown wire attached, I had to trouble shoot each brown loose wire I had in the console to get the right one. Repair manuals to give you this information, I have all types of Mercedes manuals for my car. At one point, someone had screwed up my console, so I am in the process of putting things back together.

When you say indicators, are you referring to instrument cluster bulbs? If so, you may need to take out your cluster and make sure your dimmer switch
(Reostat) is working, may need to turn the dial back and fourth so it can get its connection back. Once you understand these older Benzes, they are not that difficult to work on, you just need to keep playing with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
When you say indicators, are you referring to instrument cluster bulbs? If so, you may need to take out your cluster and make sure your dimmer switch
(Reostat) is working, may need to turn the dial back and fourth so it can get its connection back. Once you understand these older Benzes, they are not that difficult to work on, you just need to keep playing with them.
No, you are correct... I was also referring to the shifter bulb found at the floor console:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
There's only one bulb, it is located towards the left of the shifter, I have a left hand side drive vehicle. The bulb housing fits through an opening in the base of the shifter, need to remove the wood surround so you can get to it and see what's going on. That's your starting point and you can trouble shoot from there. Are the rest of your bulbs working, cluster and ac panel?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
There's only one bulb, it is located towards the left of the shifter, I have a left hand side drive vehicle. The bulb housing fits through an opening in the base of the shifter, need to remove the wood surround so you can get to it and see what's going on. That's your starting point and you can trouble shoot from there. Are the rest of your bulbs working, cluster and ac panel?
Thanks for the info. Yup, the rest of the indicators' bulbs are functional.... except this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Once you can see what you are looking at, it shouldn't be that difficult to pinpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in