Help with W108 windshield replacement - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help with W108 windshield replacement

I have removed the front and rear windshields of my 280SEL for rust repair/repaint. I have purchased new seals (Manufactured by URO) but have questions about reinstallation. Some threads talk about glue while others say no glue. I have tried to fit the seals to the windshield, but they tend to keep falling off the top radius. I have triple checked the part numbers on the bags for the seals to make sure they are right, but they seem to not want to stay on the glass.

Is this normal? Do they need to be glued to the glass to keep them in place while installing into the car?

Any help is appreciated. My manual does not cover glass install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1971 Mercedes 280sel (w108)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I bought my w108 two years ago and it needed a new windshield. It took a little while to find someone who knew how to replace these old school for windshields. Do not use glue on the seal or the windshield. The exact process by which the windshield is replaced is unknown to me, I had someone else do it who had experience. Most windshield installers these days do not know how to replace the seals or windshields. My advice is this, do not try to do this yourself. find an old school person who knows what they are doing and pay them to do it. Mine cost about $250 for parts and labor. Well worth it. Best of luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fit the rubber seal to the glass, which is laying down flat. Add the 'chrome' surround to the slot and use silicone spray to help with that installation, you will have trouble instering it later.

Buy a spool of smooth thin nylon rope and instert it into the slot that fits into the body. Wrap it around twice, make sure one end is in the middle of the rubber at the bottom and has some additional length for you to hold on to.

Take the glass, rubber and decorative surround, make sure up is up and down is down, and with a friend put it into the glass frame. Get another friend, two in total or maybe three, had have them push on the glass on the sides while you get inside the car and hold onto the two ends at the bottom of the glass, draw the rope out which will flip the rubber over the metal lip. Keep drawing the rope until all the rope is out of the slot and your glass is installed.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
(Thread Starter)
I appreciate the responses. It has so far been impossible to find a glass man here that will touch my car. I understand the install process, my question is about the seal. I can get the seal to slip onto the windshield, but not stay there. It is almost like it is too big.

I'm guessing from the responses that this is not normal. Everyone seems to struggle getting the rubber onto the glass while I am struggling to keep it there.

Anyone know the correct seal number for this chassis (front and rear) since I am relying on parts shops? Any preference on brands? I've heard the URO seals are OK, but they sure don't seem to fit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
TZ, I'd like to suggest you get a genuine MB seal which I and a friend both had installed on our 4.5's. They are a bear to install as it's a very tight fit but you'll be rewarded with a windshield that doesn't leak, and ruins your wooden dash bow in the corners, among other things.

Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm thinking more and more that it is a seal issue and not my lack of understanding. Will look for an original MB seal. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The local Mercedes dealer just informed me that he can't get the window seals for a 108 chassis any more. Fortunately, Miller's Incorporated can still get them. Am I the only one who feels my local dealer is lazy?

Attached is a photo of my formerly GOLD but now Dunkelblau 280SEL. Will update the avitar and post some more when I get further along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01612.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	324295  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
I went through a similar thing with my 220SE. The crossmember lateral locating rod had been NLA for some time and the dealer said it was still NLA. A quick call to Tom at the Classic Center revealed that new ones had just become available but that the company database may not have been updated.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in