post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w110 Buying suggestions

I'm in the market for a late 60's w110 car (200, 220, 230). The 230's came with the 6 cyl and the 200 and 220's came with 4cyl from what I've been reading. It looks like the major options were Auto Trans and A/C. Are the Automatic's worth anything on these cars? Is the 4cyl powerfull enough or should I try to find a 6? Anything special to look for besides the usual rust, etc? Can these be used as a "nice weather daily driver"? I've seen some have cracked heads on them for sale..was this a common issue? Are parts hard to find?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi Tom,

First there is some clarification needed. The W110 body was made form 1961 to 1968. From 1961 to 1965 there was the 190c (4-cylinder gasoline) and 190Dc (4-cylinder OM621 diesel). In 1965/1966 the body was updated, at which time there were three models, the 200 (4-cylinder gasoline), the 200D (4-cylinder OM621 diesel), and the 230 (6-cylinder M180 gasoline). The 220 in those years was a 6-cylinder gasoline model, and had the W111 body, and I think became the 230S in 1965/1966. The W110 had the single large headlight and the W111 had the dual stacked headlights.

The automatics in those days were actually 4-speeds. In addition to the 4-speed manual transmission, there was also a transmission called Hydrak automatic clutch which was basically a manual transmission with an automatic clutch. I have not been around the automatics much, but would think that a manual transmission would be more valuable in one of these old cars as you never know when the transmission will go out, and will likely cost a whole lot to fix. Plus they were not very efficient. Manuals are pretty simple and usually trouble-free.

Don't know about the cracked heads. Which engine has this problem? Parts for the body are not the easiest to find, but I suspect the engines are not as hard, especially the M180 6-cylinder. There are may junkyards across the country, many in the south and east, that are dedicated to Mercedes. Also, may new parts are still available from the dealer.

As for power, a diesel with an automatic would be the worst combination. The diesel was not a powerhouse to start with (55 HP), so any power robbing device (including A/C) will make it worse. The diesel with the manual would be the next step up. I would think any gas model would have sufficient power, with the 4-cylinder with a manual being the most economical.

They are actually decent daily drivers and drive very well given their age no matter what the weather, but proper maintenance is a must, especially on the front end components. For the best daily driver, you will want to look for a 1963 or newer model as they had front power disc brakes as standard. Floor shift was also an option for sure after 1965.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply. I noticed most of the later 60s cars have the dual headlights so those must be the w111. I saw a 67 230 6cyl model with single headlights so I guess that's the w110. It's a little confusing how there were 2 body types with the same model number. I actually prefer the w110 for it's more simple looks. Thanks for the engine info, I didn't know the diesel was so low on power. I guess I need to drive the stick and auto to see which one I would prefer. If this was a sports car, the stick would clearly be the choice, but with a big ol sedan sometimes you just want to cruise around slowly, where an automatic will do just fine. But your right, the auto would be a costly repair should something go wrong with it.

There was a guy I knew in HS back in the early 80s who got one of these from a little old lady who lived next door for cheap and he drove it everyday to school. That was the coolest car in the parking lot, IMO. It was grey in color, they look great in grey.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: