post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: MB 240D 1980, Citroen 2CV 1966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
three A/C compressor and still no A/C on my 240D

Hi! I am very frustrated. On Dec, 2009 I got a 240D 1980 in very good condition.
Only 55.000 miles on it. Everything was working except the A/C. The car was seat on a garage for 5 years before I purchased it. They started the engine sometimes untill battery became dead. The car still had the system for R12 burt no freon inside at all.

The first thing I did with the A/C was to partially flush the hoses and put a new dryer. I changed the O-rings for the green ones ready for the R134a. I put 4 ounces of comp. oil PAG 60 in the compressor, a Fourseasons, not the original that came with the car in 1980, (but no oil in the dryer)and did a vacuum for about ten minutes. Then I charged the system with two cans of R134a and some dyer in case was any leaks. Everything seemed to work fine for about ten days. Temp. out of the outlets was 40ºF. On the 11th day a noticed some oil on the ground and all freon was gone. The compressor was broken.

Second attempt to fix the A/C on the car. This time I collected more inf. I ordered a remanufactured comp. from a company in eBay. I flushed the whole system and installed a new expansion valve. I put 4 oz of oil in the compressor and 4 oz in a new dryer. (PAG 100) I did a more extensive vacuum for about 30 min. and put 2 ½ cans of R134a I also installed a new A/C fan in front of the condenser because I noticed that the original fan was not working. I also installed a new A/C cutoff switch L 2 Kgs H 20 Kgs
Again good cold air (40ºF) for another 5 days and after that the compressor passed away. Same faliure, I sow some oil in the ground under the compressor and all freon was gone.

The third attempt was similar to the previous one, but this time a put a new Fourseasons compressor $200.00 fron Advance Auto Parts in the Web page, another new Dryer and the same expansion valve. I did flushed the system again, I put PAG 160 this time according to inf. from the comp. company and did the vacuum again. This time the compressor worked only four days. In the morning of the fifth day the compressor exploded only a few minutes after a started the A/C.

I read extensively in the forums and it seems like the system is not going to work fine with R134a eventhough the expansion valve has a sticker that reads R134a.

I returned the compressor to Advance, they will send me a new one and this time I want to try with R12. and some mineral oil.

What is your advice for my case?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not sure what compressor you have but by now you probably know that the older piston type compressors like the A6 or York can't take the higher pressures that 134a operate at. Also I have heard that fourseasons compressors have a bad reputation.

280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: MB 240D 1980, Citroen 2CV 1966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry 3 a/c compressors

Thanks Tony:

the a/c compressor type my 240D 1980 uses is the R4 from which i read not very good comments. In others words it is not a good quality compressor.
I diddn't heard anything about Fourseasons reputation as a/c compresor's manufacturer.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: