Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

75 240D Master Cylinder, Brakes, Bearings?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Govert70227 
#1 ·
A little history. I have a 75 240D with 80K. Very well maintained its whole life.

A little over a week ago my brake peddle went to the floor. Checked online and sounded like the master cylinder so I dropped it off at the Mercedes shop.

Visit#1: Dropped off the car and they agreed the master cylinder was gone. Replaced MC and bled brake system.

Drive car home and noticed smoking coming from the front left tire.

Visit #2: Drove the car back to shop and by the time I got back, the left front wheel was smoking and a black ooze was covering the back of the wheel.

They put it up on the lift and they spun the wheels. The wheels would not spin on the front wheels or the right rear. They said that the calipers must be seized. I had them install 4 new ATE calipers and brake pads, brake lines, brake flush, and they said that they greased the wheel bearings. They said they also took it for a road test.

I drove it home, and didn't notice a problem. I drove it to work today and the same left front tire smoke was occurring.

I jacked up the front wheels again and same symptoms. The wheel would not turn easily. Basically a lot of friction going on at the wheel.

So needless to say I am pretty pissed. The guys were recommended to me and they work exclusively on Mercedes. I just dropped ~ 1750 on the whole brake job and I'm still having troubles.

Question #1. Do you think it is the wheel bearings?

Question #2. If it is the wheel bearings then the original calipers were probably good. Should I retrieve the old calipers from them and install the old ones back in? And then return the new ones to them?

Question #3. Am I being to severe to say that these guys should have figured this problem out by now? Would you want them to continue working on the car? What would you do in this situation?

See less See more
#2 ·
Did they change the brake discs too? Otherwise there is no reason to touch the wheel bearings. If they did change the discs, they had to adjust the wheel bearings, which is a precision job.

Wheel bearings go out slowly, first they start humming.

If the calipher is seized, the brake disc and calipher will get hot, if it is wheel bearing, the axle will get hot, although given time, the heat will transfer.

They might have used the wrong grease for the bearing.

The master cylinder might be faulty, it happens sometimes, even with new ones, they build up pressure, but the pressure isn't relieved and the brakes will seize.

If you remove the brake pads and the wheel still has a lot of resistance, than it is the wheel bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.