post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1985 500 SEL and 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Benz1 View Post
First off, you guys NEVER drove it. Never got underneath of it. And your judging it by an amateur cleanup and two slight spots of surface rust. . Aint no thing. However, I may keep it and get that $1,000 paint job which im sure your all laughing at, and upholster the seats. THEEEENNNN according to you that would be a $10,000 vehicle. So but I'll just sell it as is, I just need a car for school and the lake. Hav a great summer, folks.
you know Mr Benz1, I don't think anyone is trying to hang you out to dry,,,I am not sure how or who advised you that you could get 10K for that car, In the end we all make our decisions on purchase and then have to live with what we bought.I have bought a few mercedes that I have been happy with and a couple that when they were delivered I was unhappy with and just parted them out in a effort to just break even. It all part of the risk one takes. In the current economy however all cars have come down in price, just like houses. I have purchased two Mercedes this year in feb ,one off ebay and one off craigslist , I have a 1985 500sel with 116,000 miles No rust , maintenance records back to the first owner and its been a head turner,, I paid 2,960.00 for that one.
I have sine put on over 7k miles on it ,no problems
The other one is a 1986 560sl convertible (178,000 miles) with hard top that I purchased in California for 2,500, drove it home and then put 2,800 in parts into it, I did all the labor myself so its worth what its worth in man-hours , again No rust , straight bodys on both. Take a look on e bay and craigslist, The price for these older cars have come down tremendously I also have 1982 dodge 400 convertible that I plan on listing on e bay sometime in june . This car has been garaged all of its life , has 17,563 org miles , in very good condition no rust , org radio etc ,, I think it may ,,,repeat may top 5k in this market ,, wish you luck with your e bay sale ,, the paint job for a grand,,well you get what you pay for in that the paint and clearcoat alone on my last repaint was over 600.00 and labor and prep ran close to 3k a really good job can run over 5K, fenders run 250-290 each and rocker covers run about the same , These are expensive cars to repair and most of us here consider them a labor of love,well worth the cost for the experience of driving what I consider some of the finest cars made, but they are not a good investment for flipping.
These are kindest thoughts I can give you after looking at what you selling. I think 2-3 k is the best you will do on e bay,Just my opinion ,I have been wrong before I would be very interested in watching the sale when you post it on e bay so please post the link as it adds to my price listing data on what these cars are selling for , thanks
What I and others am trying to give is a idea of value in todays market,
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
I can't handle this guy anymore, I got to unsubscribe to this thread. $2,500. max. Good luck. Later.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1968 280se on Accuair, 1988 560SEC
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
sounds like you really love this car. maybe you should keep it?

good luck with the sale
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 280 SE 4.5
(Thread Starter)
Well your right man, I love this car. However, my friends dad who is a Dr. helped me with the costs getting it fixed, and I offered to pay him back as soon as I made the sale... so now I'm SOL it seems. Even tho, I know how this thing runs and I just feel like shes every bit of atleast $4,000.00 -- Just had a bunch of experts starring at it in KC saying many, many positive things about it. Not a rust bucket friends, just two surface spots. Underneath is completely clean. Found out it was kept in a barn for 20 years. I dont have shit for help, just me, so maybe this wasnt the best investment because now this Dr. wont get off my ass... maybe ill just work it off this summer and keep the car...thats what I would rather do to be honest... Thanks again folks. .
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: