Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1978 W123 280E Works Rally Car

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Morse33 
#1 ·
A little bit of vintage history in the form of a 1978 W123 280E Works Rally Car on German eBay. A price of €38,000 upon it. Any takers?

Translation from the advert -

"To the sale here a genuine rare piece comes: The only one original Mercedes-Benz work racing car 280 E Bj.78 from Privathand of work running driver Alfred sound, who terminated the giant - running London - Sydney at the 4th place. In his private property Mr. sounding to beginning of the 90's e.g. drove various large running like route de Europe (several times). 2002 I woke it then from a Sleeping Beauty slumber. The car restored under original yardsticks and lit up today again in its old splendour! The interior was left thereby also completely original. Thus e.g. Mr. Kling's ball-point pens and Ersatzbirnchen put still laterally at the cage. Under the roof in the fund a net in that hangs spare parts such as radiator, hoses etc. was carried. The body was drastically strengthened at that time by railways, then nearly all sheet metals of the understructure wheel suspension and wheel arches were provided with double sheet metal. Extremely aufwändige technology one can also recognize from downside, so e.g. specially for these cars made axle supensions the compressor rods is also simultaneous. In the trunk an enormous tank schlummert, with approx. 120l with aufwändiger gasoline pumps - and filtering unit and battery. Motortuning larva by Mercedes-Benz. The Unterfahrschutz from aluminum is also a class for itself with approx. 1cm wall thickness. Etc. etc. original, particularly made strengthened tires of Pirelli are also still present! The car was more highly put for the Rally employments approx. 20cm, to shock absorbers and feathers/springs is naturally also preparation of extra and bone-hard. The list is very long and the framework here would blow up. Detail with the inspection. Only which is missing still is the sand sheet metals, to their procurement however nowadays no problem represents.! The wolf in the sheep fur: Is desired inspection and test run before the purchase, red number is to be bring along. It is naturally only possible for collection after arrangement. Cash payment during collection, no Nachverhandlungen. The vehicle can be fetched and should within 14 days with trailer od. red number. Subject to the intermediate sale, which is vehicle also with Mobile.de advertised! To acquire a unique opportunity an original work racer!! No reproduction!! Must unfortunately also be: This is not a private auction, without guarantee, cancelling. Please place before the purchase their questions which I gladly answer! Please look at the pictures, them are a component of the auction. When desired I send gladly further detail pictures."

RARITÄT!!Original Werksrennwagen W123,Rallye,280E,Kling bei eBay.de: Mercedes-Benz (endet 02.06.10 22:21:43 MESZ)

Original post I started on the W123 Forum,

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...interesting-auction-works-rally-car-w123.html

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah what a joke,, I cannot imagine that MB had ANY thing at all to do with its creation, except maybe supply the battery box in the trunk....THERE is NOTHING about this car that looks like a works project, and no history... You could replicate this (But WHY?) in your back yard for $4000.00 if you really wanted to and even make it legal to drive and use.

#4 ·
Actually it has a lot of history . it was driven to forth place in the london to Sydney marathon.
i guess you are either young or dumb or both so Ill let you know that karl Kling was one of the factories top drivers and in charge of the rally efforts.
The car is actually very cheap for a car eligible for historic rallying anywhere in the world and who in their right mind would even consider it suitable for driving as a daily? some people make me wonder sometimes.
this is one of the Worlds greatest rally drivers,Andrew Cowan after he won the london (England ) to Sydney ( Australia ) Marathon in the sister car .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.