LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1977 450 SL cannot get into trunk

We bought a 1977 450 SL from my father in law. It had been in storage for 10 years. He only remembers having one key for it. When he went to get the car started to change the battery (which is in the trunk) he had no problems getting in. We get the car home and the trunk is locked and the key we have only fits the ignition and the glove box. It does not fit the trunk or doors. We called a dealer and he said the ignition must have been switched out and ordered us a new key. The new key does not fit! It fits the ignition and glove box again but not the trunk or doors. He said new door and trunk locks are going to run us about $1200 which I do not want to have to do! Does anyone know of any way to get into the trunk without a key?? Desperate for answers. I need to get my golf clubs in there by Wed. night!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Is there no remote release for the trunk somewhere on the dash? Every Mercedes I have ever owned has a remote release somewhere in the cabin. Maybe that will get the trunk open for you.

You might also ask this question in the R/C107 forum a bit further down this site. That is a forum dedicated to discussions of the 107 coupe and roadster chassis. Your car is an R107.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1956 Buick Century Coupe, 1937 Pontiac Business Coupe
Either the trunk lock is bad or some of the locks in the car have been changed. There is no way to open the trunk if it's locked. You will need to drill through the tumbler to open the trunk and then replace the trunk lock. If you unlock the car with the vacuum locks and it still doesn't unlock there isn't anything else to do but drill the lock out. Once you've completely drilled through the lock you can just trip the trunk latch with a screwdriver. A locksmith can cut a key from code for $60. All he needs is a tumbler from a door.

Last edited by CRJ9Driver; 05-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Doesn't seem strange though that both the trunk and doors do not work with the key? I called a MB dealer and they say a new lock for each door is $500 each and $200 for the trunk! OUCH. The nearest MB dealer is 3 hours from here and there are not to many local places that know about these cars up here in the Northwoods. There is nothing on the dash or seats to open the trunk. I'm hoping this was going to be an easy fix but it doesn't look to be.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Maybe it is the wrong key... You do not need new locks... My 63 came with the ignition key only. I removed the door trim, pulled the door handle with the lock tumbler attached, removed the lock tumbler and took it to a lock smith. Every lock ever made has a stamped code. The lock smith matches the year/model of the car with the lock code in his computer and it gives him the "cuts": 2-2-4 if it is a 3 cut key, or 2-4-2-3 if it is a 4 cut key. Then he sets his machine accordingly and with in 5 minutes you have your keys. Total cost $60 to $75.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
key made

I have tried every locksmith within a 5 hour raduis and they all say they cannot make those sidewinder keys. Where did you have yours done? Maybe I could get my auto body guy to take the lock out for me when he's working on it next week and send it out somewhere. I'm desperate for results here!! Thanks!.
Becky
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Lehman's Lock & safe Services 1089 East Shaw Avenue, Fresno - (559) 228-1805
My key was one sided though, but had other keys (two sided) done before with no issues
SZ

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
update on locks

Just in case anyone is interested in how we got into the trunk I thought I'd post a reply.
The body shop I took the car to fould a vaccum line that was in the door panel and they tripped it somehow and the trunk unlocked. There is a leak somewhere in the line. Glad they didn't drill the trunk lock out like I thought they might have to.
Enjoy my new Benz.
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in