Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1970 W111 280 SE Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Then, I guess, we will need to find a more permanent solution to keep the rod in the column shifter from poking out and hiting the copper circles that activate the horn.
Has anybody out there had a similar problem and knows how to fix it?
Perhaps it is more difficult than we think and it should be better looked at by a MB mechanic.
At least we know where the problem is...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
Wow... can't believe how recent these posts are I was just about to start looking into the honking when turning too... I've had the wiper/horn fuse out in my '64 220s for about a year now.

Maybe a hard plastic cap over the shifter rod would provide better protection?

I started looking into it last year, but I couldn't get the steering wheel nut off and kinda just gave up...

I'll have to use a bigger wrench this time and see if that shifter rod is my problem too...

theres got to be a way to either get the rod back where it belongs or cover it with something that will last longer than a week.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
I barely know anything about the steering wheel assembly in this car myself but it's one of two things.

1) The shifter rod is spring loaded and whatever is supposed to retain that spring has worn out. This would require a fairly large teardown to get two as there's a nice solid steel cover preventing you from getting to anything.

or

2) The steering shaft is supposedly a telescoping rod and over time this has shifted downwards and needs to be readjusted so it pokes up higher and the steering wheel itself doesnt push down quite as far to meet it.

To get that nut off I took off the steering rim (the part that has the actual horn ring on it) so I could get into the base easier and then used a "Hand Impact Driver" which you smack with a hammer while turning to loosen the nut. Once I did that for a while and let some wd-40 soak in I was finally able to get the nut off with a normal socket wrench. (still took quite a bit of force to get off even after that)

edit* for the time being tho I've just strung a couple of wires off the turn singal switch and fed it to a cheap button installed in the center console .

Gotta pass state inspection and a button is good enough as long as the horn "works".
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi EricDr,
I was able to take the metal plate and look behind. It is not difficult. Just remove the safety ring on the steering column (the small one), the safety ring on the shifter rod and the four bolts. Be careful when pulling it out not to damage the horn cables running from the copper prongs to the turn signal switch. These need to be unhook from the switch.
In my case behind this plate, on the shifting rod, were the remains of some sort of washer, which had worn out. This may be why the rod is poking out to much and touching the copper circles.
So we need to get that washer. Unless you can get the real one from MB, perhaps have one made of plastic or teflon???
I will take some pictures once I put it back together.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
Thumbs up

I'll probably end up using an impact wrench on it, when I get to it, I just never seem to have the car, air compressor, and impact wrench in the same place at the same time...

I'll definitely be waiting to see these pics of this shifter assembly and what kinda washer we're looking at. (probably nylon?)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I forgot to mention that to remove this plate the turn signal/wiper/high beam switch also needs to be removed, as HBguy described earlier in this thread.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
I just got back from the shop. I found a guy who's about 70 years old and has been working on Mercedes since 1957

He was tuning my idle and while we were waiting for it to cool down I brought up the horn issue.

He said he'd seen this happen millions of times.

The fix for this apparently is to get replacement plastic bushings for that bit of the shifter that sticks up. They're made of soft plastic and just deteriorate over time. One goes underneath the E-Clip on the shifter and another just sits right on top (with basically nothing to hold it there, just sits on top).

So that's it. That's the fix. Mine must have been lost ages ago when someone else did work on it.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
That makes sense...there's plenty of space for another bushing in there and I had quite a bit of plastic 'shavings' in the area when I first took it apart. thanks for the info.

Former MB: "Miss Juliana" - 1972 280SEL 4.5
Current MB: 2013 C250
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
I don't suppose you got a part # for that bushing? I can't get the ewa-net program to connect to server.

Former MB: "Miss Juliana" - 1972 280SEL 4.5
Current MB: 2013 C250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in