post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 280 SE 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need some advice!?

Hey guys! Billy Benz here, and I am just looking to ask some guys who have more knowledge about all this stuff. As you mayb remember, I own (not drive), a 1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SE 4.5--- soo... I just about had it running a few weeks ago, and it would actually run if you poured gas down the air intake, but the injectors wouldnt open up or what not. I bought a cheap fuel pump for it (lack of money), but will be working this summer with a steady pay check no more hw for a few weeks. Anyway, i went out the other day to check it out, and I tried turning it over, and NOTHING. looked under the hood and saw 2 dead mice floating in my windshield washing fluid plastic tank. My question is, obviously a few mice chewd up some of the wiring... now is that really that expensive to fix? Or how hard is it to do yourself? I really want to keep this car, and I have grown attached to it b4 it even ran, but its so close... just asking b/c ill sell it, if I get enough feedback saying its a money pit.... thanks guys!

Billy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, Billy, I would say it depends on your electrical knowledge and ability. I wouldn't think it would be too tough unless after chewing through the wires they moved them around. Hopefully it would be just a few splice jobs and you'd be good to go. As for having someone else do it, that could get costly if you're paying someone by the hour at the going mechanics rate.

Back to the "nothing". Is the battery fully charged? Are the connection secure, clean and free of corrosion? Did it start or at least turn over before?

As far as a money pit goes, any of these old relics that have not been maintained properly, or have been sitting idle forever, will need lots of TLC and some amount of $$$ and labor to put it back in descent shape. Since you've had it running, it sounds like you're at least know the engine works. What is the condition of everything else? Transmission, tires, brakes, power equipment, interior, body, paint, etc???? You'll probably have to make a determination on all of those things and more to determine if it will be "worth it" for you to proceed and how much $$$ you want to sink into it. I've got an W114 (280C) that I've had for 24 years. Last year I spent about $2500 in parts and replaced/repaired nearly everything mechanical except the engine and the transmission. I did it only because it hadn't been done in the 24 years I've owned it and I thought it was time. Hopefully it'll never need much now for at least another 24 years...knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	305468  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
haha im such an amateur.. never guess what happened??? it turns over just fine!!!!! it wasnt in gear....!!!!! but it was... but it was actually not... not sure why it didnt click into gear.. just about running!! no wires chewd at all! lol
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Anyway, funny story to share! So I was about ready to sell it today, after displaying an add in KC. So.. this guy calls who is in medical school at KU. So I'm naturally thinking hes got some idea about this model.. anywho, he totally starts disrepecting the value of my car, and I knowthat you Mercedes fans see that often. not cool and im desperately needing a vehicle for school and just life in general. He leaves and then my roommate shows up, and puts it into gear, even tho it looked like it was in park.. not sure about that??? Then I turn it over, and its just so damn close to firing right up... think its the fuel pump.. wow twist of fate, karma? lol Thanks for the help guys! As always.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
mbbuff- thanks for all of your input man makes great sense.. just hoping mine turns out well!
take care
oh btw, hes meeting me tomorrow again, cause he didnt believe about the 60,000 original miles so I let him check out the paperwork... hopefully he returns it.. lol ill let ya know how it turns out... thanks!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You try to sell that car since at least 6 month and you still didn't get it started.
You should put the same effort you put in to open new threads here in getting that "thing" fixed or just part it out,what you think someone pays you for a not running 40 year old car.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ulfeli- I'm not selling my car, just "trying" to get it started. My car has only 60,000 original miles, and with only two weeks left of school, I will then get a steady paycheck to be able to put into this thing. It just about starts right now! I'm at the point where I'm done being rude to ppl (like u), and I try not to sweat the small stuff. Anyway, thing sounds like a hog without even starting up yet... So guys... I took a test light to my injectors and saw that the little light bulb didnt shine. No power to the injectors, that leads me to atleast believe that I need a new "ECU", for the FI system? Any other input? Thanks again folks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I feel good about not blowing up on you even with your stupid comments... anger management is working!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflei View Post
You should put the same effort you put in to open new threads here in getting that "thing" fixed or just part it out,what you think someone pays you for a not running 40 year old car.
Wow, that was a really bitchy thing to say...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Billy, help me out - will the car run at all? If it does, the ECU is OK...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in