WTB - springs for a 108 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
WTB - springs for a 108

posted it n the classified section, but not sure this crowd makes it over there. I need a set to convert my 109 to springs. I'll take more than one set if you have them, probably going to experiment with cutting them. If you know of anything that interchanges, let me know.

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon.

Feind Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
I have the same car and I have springs. I looked it up in the Haynes manual and it showed that it came with rear springs.

By the way, I looked it up because my rear springs sit a bit high, to the point where the rear wheels are actually a little angled (when you look at it from the rear, its making a slight "V" shape).

Former MB: "Miss Juliana" - 1972 280SEL 4.5
Current MB: 2013 C250
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
280's came with spring, 300 came with air ride. that is why I am swapping it out.

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Feind Motorsports
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
They didn't all come with the same springs,there are several different ones to choose from. In a W109 you will need to change the lower control arms too because they are completely different to a steel spring car unit.
Don't discard the control arms,put them on ebay.au because they are sought after item here. We aren't allowed to install airbags but if a car came with air bags then you are allowed to have them. So everyone wants air bags on their Merc. :-)

The springs you need to look for are 280SE 3.5 springs. Springs off a six are too soft and you will find the car riding on the bump stops. In the rear you will need to find a diff with a compensator. Air bag cars don't need the compensator and they also have anti dive geometry,which the lesser W108's don't have. Put steel springs and you will learn why the mercedes wreckers were once full of air bag cars converted to steel springs.
Apart from the cost of repairing the air suspension there is no sane reason to install steel springs. you will lose the handling and ride straight away.
A few owners here have removed the airvalves and installed solenoids on each bag with 1/2" lines .this gives a air suspension which can be adjusted. you might want to consider that before embarking on what will turn out to be a major job.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
i converting this for race use so the bags have to go. I probably would have just gone with a 108 if I had one but this 109 was cheap ad it ran. I have a 108 I can swap parts back and forth on so that should help. I also have a rear end out of a 450 SL, will that work for the rear? As also ways, thanks for the input.

Feind Motorsports
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
The rear end of a 108 will easily fit a 109. I've got a 109 that my dad and I upgraded to springs. I was never a fan of the airbag system - it was cumbersomely difficult to keep from leaking and expensive to fix. It's doable...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: w109 6.3 race car,w108 3.5
w109 race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackasic View Post
posted it n the classified section, but not sure this crowd makes it over there. I need a set to convert my 109 to springs. I'll take more than one set if you have them, probably going to experiment with cutting them. If you know of anything that interchanges, let me know.
im interested in your race car project,not too many reach the track, i am in the process of building a w109 6.3 for the classic race series in the uk..i am keeping for now the original air ride..it worked for the redpig in the 1970s so its good enough for me..if your really serious on building your w109 i have years of information..a w108 with a good 3.5 or 4.5 and man trans would make a great car to race and the performance is very good,even compared to the 6.3 you would give most cars in your class a run for their money,,,i have many fotos of the car im building and have alot of contacts that can help...good luck and see you on the track
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the input, I am picking up a manual out of a 450 SL today, along with its drive shaft and rear end. Going to try to get it all running first before striping it and stating the race prep. Need to work on which rotors and calipers I can upgrade to also.

The race is mainly an endurance series, so I am going steel strings for the simplicity. with air, you run into problems of dependability (can't go to the auto parts store for parts) and it the variable height mess with the alignment ans geometry.

Feind Motorsports
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

W109 RACE CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackasic View Post
thanks for the input, I am picking up a manual out of a 450 SL today, along with its drive shaft and rear end. Going to try to get it all running first before striping it and stating the race prep. Need to work on which rotors and calipers I can upgrade to also.

The race is mainly an endurance series, so I am going steel strings for the simplicity. with air, you run into problems of dependability (can't go to the auto parts store for parts) and it the variable height mess with the alignment ans geometry.
sounds like a good idea to put a standard box in the car,,plenty of off the shelf parts too,,pedal box will fit from man trans w108..grab a manual drivers side window winder assembly as well.....mercedes rarely ran manual trans,,,in fact even today the guys in germeny who build the 450 slc for racing use the auto trans,,Mr Waxenburger My Hero and the designer of the 6.3 w109 and who was always at the front of racing in mercedes ran auto trans in the slc class in the 80s,,,he had millions to spend and still used the auto box...im using auto this year but have 2 good dog leg close ratio getrag 5speed boxes that i have in mind to fit if the auto box dosnt suit...
on your brake upgrade..i wanted to fit bigger discs and calipers which i bought from a newer model amg car..i have been told by someone i trust and whos been building hi perfornce classic and modern mercedes for many many years that the spindles and suspension pins cant take bigger brakes.just not strong enough..so again im taking his advice to start with and have got standard size hi performance drilled and grooved discs all round and ebc red pads,,braided brake lines and so on,,all off the shelf by the way and not expensive..
getting back to the air ride..im fitting newer tech control system but running the original air bags,,the tank bigger than original and of alloy has been moved into the car,,,its really simple this way,,a days work and 500 us dollars total..also you dont loose engine power on air pump as you run electric comp and only when you need it...good also as you can reset the car for different tracks and fuel wieght and so on...every body is fitting air suspension systems at great expense,,when you have one on your car..
im sure you know best whats good for you but i can only tell you my thoughts after years of building my car..
love to see how the car is geting on..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

300sel race car

Hi...any update on the race car..any picutres etc...i checked out the race your building it for as i thought it was a classic race ,,but still looks fun,,,cars have to cost less then $1000 though??

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in