post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1979 280E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 1979 280E

I am having problems with my 280E. It starts great and drives perfectly until it starts getting hot. Once its hot it makes a loud clicking sound at the front, back fires and chugs away really loudly as it gets slower and slower until it cant move anymore but if I turn it off and restart it its fine until it warms up again. I never had a problem with it until I recently when I filled it with petrol. I literally got 1 minute down the road before this began. Im not sure if this could be the cause or if it is just a coincidence. It has been off the road for a month now having all sorts of work done but nobody seems to be able to work it out. It has a new fuel pump and filter, timing belt, spark plugs, manifold bits and pieces....you name it! This car was my poppy's so it is in amazing condition and means the world to me. I am desperate to get my baby back on the road so any suggestions would be much appreciated Cheers!

Last edited by M3RC79; 03-27-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Could you clarify a few things, namely:

1. The problems started before it went in for all those repairs and persisted since or did they start after the repairs?

2. Was a fuel pressure check done, both hot and cold?

3. Were the injectors checked for leaks?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
I had no problems with it at all until I filled it with petrol one day. Its been doing this same thing ever since. All the work getting done to it has been since it started playing up which is why I took it to get fixed in the first place. The car got so bad that I actually had to get it towed to the mechanics.. but nobody has been able to work it out yet. The injectors are fine and the fuel pressure has also been checked over. Its very strange because it starts and takes off so perfectly but as soon as you get on the freeway its all over. It feels as though something is stuck or it is getting starved from petrol somewhere...but where exactly nobody knows! Thank you for the suggestions!

Last edited by M3RC79; 03-27-2010 at 04:43 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
for what its worth:

its definitely BAD GAS,,,
some staions have contaminated underground storage tanks or recieve a "bad" load from their "DISCOUNT" suppliers...
DRAIN the gas tank in your car COMPLETELY (save old gas for lawn mower / weed burns / or burn in a newer car 1 gallon at a time with a FULL tank of FRESH gas mixed in...
install NEW fuel FILTER(s)...
add i bottle of LUCAS injector cleaner and one FULL tank of PREMIUM (QUALITY BRAND) petrol...
my bet is you will motoring down the highways and the byways happy as a clam in the sand on a sunny day after a morning rain...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Could very likely be bad fuel as stated above. Also check the gas cap. Don't know if yours is a closed system or a vented system. An easy check would be to run it statically (not driving it) for a while and see if it stalls out once it warms up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
OK guys, My car now has a new fuel tank, new fuel lines, pump and filters, new fuel distributor and distributor leads and it STILL has the same PROBLEM. It chugs, back fires and makes all sorts of banging noises, is incredibly loud and simply does not move once it gets warm yet it starts and runs perfectly when cold. ANY IDEAS!?! It has now been 5 weeks of working on it and still just cant seem to work it out. We have checked and updated all of the idea's mentioned earlier plus a lot more....fuel injectors, fuel pressure, timing, blah, blah, blah. It has got us absolutely baffled! Any more suggestions you may have would be so much appreciated. Cheers!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
just reading your post,

Backfire suggest leaning or timing problem. You said you checked the timing chain so something must be leaning it out when it gets warm. Did you check the clearance on the disk of the air meter. It can be expanding when car get's hot then sticking making a lean conditon. That's my guess.

What I suggest is you take car to a good mercedes mechanic maybe even the dealer.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: