BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 99 ML 430; 61 220Sb
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post '61 220 Sb Intro to the world!

Hello everyone,

I signed up on this site recently in the hopes of fixing my 99 ML430 which at 200K miles is starting to slowly die, but I started reading the vintage section and it made me think about the other love of my life....

im the proud owner of a black '61 220Sb. its sitting on all drum brakes (conversion tips please!) and i have a hydrak transmission (PITA). I purchased this car from an elderly polish gent for $1. We purchased the house from him, and I asked him about the car, and he said he was going to trash it. I told him id buy it, and he agreed for $1 if we buy the house. best deal of my life!

this happened 6 years ago, when i was 16. now im about to turn 22, and reading threads about reviving these cars made me realize the need to revive mine.

its currently sitting in my garage, away from nature. its got 49K original miles on it, and it still starts on the first key. everything on it is in perfect condition. the F and R seats are like brand new, cluster still works. the only issues with it are the front carpets are gone, the dash needs some work, im missing a couple of pieces, and the only major exterior issue is that there is rust on the front right fender behind the wheel. the biggest pain though

this car has not been registered or driven for more than 5 minutes probably since 1993. i have all the paper work for the car as well, title, original papers. the only thing i am missing is the manual. The one special connection that i have with the car is that the car rolled off the line on June 5th, 1961. I was born June 5th, 1988.

My main concern with it right now though is the dreaded hydrak transmission. I am having trouble shifting it into reverse for some odd reason. it may have to do with the fact that the plastic bushing that covers the metal plate that makes ground contact has disintegrated. I have had the worst luck finding a replacement for it, i even ended up buying a whole steering column just for the shifter assembly, but it was for a wrong model.

Also, since the car has been sitting for all this time, what needs to be done in order to get it to run properly again.... I am thinking mostly on changing the fluids, but what I am scared of the most is the gas tank and the fuel lines, which most likely have a lot of dirt in them from sitting so long. ive got so many questions about this car... im the type of person that asks a million questions before they do something, just to be safe.

anyways, to repay the ones who have been so gracious on reading my long thread, here are some pics of my merc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is an absolute amazing story,for sure you should change all fluids and clean out all fuel lines and try to get that old gas out.
Also look for a website or board for that model where you can get more help to get that beautiful car back to life.
Maybe you should contact the MB Classic center and ask for help
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: S430 93K; E420 243K; 240D 242K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
If the pictures are recent and it still starts easy & runs, it just needs some time & elbow grease for a "cosmetic" restoration. Do keep up on fluid changes and don't let the fuel get old or your problems will multiply.

If that first key you are using shows signs of much use, it would be good to make a couple of duplicates as they can fatigue & break. When my oldest son was in college(he's now a 50 y.o.), he borrowed our 1970 BMW for a date. Things were going well until he broke his key off in the ignition & I got a "roadside assistance" call at 12:30 AM.

Good to see your alternate transprotation in the background!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 68 MBZ 250se COUPE/81 300 tdt WAGON/86 420sel
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi David here
at 75 years old I been a benz guy since I was 31. Have had a dozen of the heckfloss 220s both s and se. FYI these had mostly hand built motors w mechanics id stamp of pride somewhere on block. (I's been told by many old time American Benz Mechanics) and with lovimg care can live almost as long as you. But, as others have said, full fluid service is in order, and gas tank, lines, filter,ETC are in needy condition. There is a new mercedes Benz oldisher center near L.A. that may be able to furnish the esential nylon bushings for the hydrac shifter, but the contacts in the shift lever housing should also be serviced or replaced. Also check the throw adjustment for the vacuum assisted clutch, to see if it fully activates the clutch. Mine was a 59 220s hydrac, which i converted to a 4 on the floor from a 190sl, with clutch pedal installation, behind an engine swap to the SE fuel injection engine from another 59. should have kept it.
cars owned include 59 220s/se, 61 220SE coupe, 59 190sl roadster w both tops, (Austin Healy 100/6 2 SEATER w full trunk), a dozen 220s and se fin tails, 1 68 250se sedan. 61 300d Adeanauer, 2 300d's, 1td and a SDL 300, 1 280SEL 4.5, 2 250SE 68 coupes (1 I still have, and now a 300TDT wagon and my 420SEL driver. I still do some work on old mercedes and have the 59 thru 68 (or whatever) shop manuals, 280SEL 4.5 shop manuals, and the 52 thru 62 300d shop manuals, 190sl repair manual, and have worked on all these cars, although my memory begins to fail on some details.
good luck with your 61, they may have been the most carefully built

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A hydrak finny is indeed a rare beast! .For lots of info you need to go to MBponton.org and join the International Ponton owners group on yahoo groups.
This is because the hydrak was a common option on Pontons ( I have one here as a parts car) and is generally very reliable.
To up grade your brakes,get W108 spindles,hubs,calipers and disc rotors with a set of new hoses . You will need the W108 dual circuit master cylinder and booster. The later booster master cylinder doesn't bolt in but it can be fitted by drilling a couple of new holes.

Sorry to hear your ML is dying so young but they never had a good reputation. We can thank the Chrysler influence for that.

A common problem is the battery box rusting out and rain water coming through the hole onto the passengers feet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 99 ML 430; 61 220Sb
(Thread Starter)
thanks everyone! Ill be definetly asking you guys for help this summer. After i graduate in May, ill start working on it. I want to at least get it running so that I can insure it and all of that jazz.

mercmad, are you willing to sell any parts off your parts car?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
ONE DOLLAR??!!! That's definitely a record of some kind

I love that car. Looks honest as the day is long. Congrats!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:03 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinduL View Post
thanks everyone! Ill be definetly asking you guys for help this summer. After i graduate in May, ill start working on it. I want to at least get it running so that I can insure it and all of that jazz.

mercmad, are you willing to sell any parts off your parts car?
off my parts car?, No sorry all the hydrak parts are gone now but the members on IPOG have plenty of bits for them. The main problem area is lack of use causing things to stick and the seal in the fluid coupler can fail sometimes but this is rare. Clutch plates last forever ,as do the trans .
One thing I notice is your car also has the W110 tail lights, a strange feature on a six cylinder car. You may have something unique there. You should contact the classic Center in Irvine California and get a copy of the cars Data card. It will outline all of it's accessories etc when it was built and the location of the dealer where it was delivered.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
I need to call you so we can work on your car. I know a local man with lots of parts.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in