LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
converting from points to electric iginition help

I have a 67 250s with the straight 6 in it. I am tired of messing with the points system in it. Where is the best place, or company, website, to get the electronic module where the points go and how much do they cost? I have the 2 piece points system so it has the pivot pin to slide the points on and the points point to the left in the distributor. Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '72 280SE barn find
hudgedodge2000,

You are doing a good thing. Don't listen to those nay sayers talking about rejecting flawless Mercedes engirneering and keeping your MB concours correct. Points had their time but now it's time to step into the 20th century.

I have used Pertronix in all of my old cars and boats. Pertronix is compact and reliable. I'm sure that some one will chime in with a story where their Pertronix system shot craps, I've never had that experience. George Murphy is one source for Pertronix.

perfanalysis@comcast.net

Ignitor

Another option is Hot Spark. I've never used one of those but the price is right. I undersrand that Hot Spark is a clone of Pertronix but at less than 1/2 the price.

Electronic Ignition Conversion Mercedes 200 220 230 280 : eBay Motors (item 310193275755 end time Feb-07-10 10:31:37 PST)

There is the Crane system but I haven't found any information in that one.

Lastly there is the 123 Ignition. 123 looks slick but is expensive. I may consider the 123 system when I get rich & famous.

123ignition electronic ignition systems for classic cars

My '72 280 is getting the Pertronix next week.

If it's not broke it dosen't have enough features.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1956 Buick Century Coupe, 1937 Pontiac Business Coupe
I am doing the same thing... once I get to it. This is what you need. Ebay, new, $56. Cheers!
PerTronix (Hall Effect) Ignition for Mercedes-Benz Pontons © www.mbzponton.org

Last edited by CRJ9Driver; 02-03-2010 at 08:56 AM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '72 280SE barn find
CRJ9Driver,

Thanks for the link

If it's not broke it dosen't have enough features.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have Pertronix also and it works great. One warning - do not leave the ignition in the on position with the car not running for hours. It will fry the thing.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1962 220S(200d engine),1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75,1984 500SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
I have Pertronix also and it works great. One warning - do not leave the ignition in the on position with the car not running for hours. It will fry the thing.

same thing applies for the points mine would burn up if i left it on for more than 5 mins though..ill probably go same route to electric ignition..my points will only last like 2 weeks before i see the timing make jump all over the place..thought about getting the 123 ignition (there video is amazing) but thats a lot of money to swing right now

111 1962 220s (200d engine)
1995 S350
1983 300TD
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1972 280se 4.5 Silver/Maroon
Got my pertronix from Summit racing here in Ga. THey had it in stock. Also got the flamethrower coil for v8. Works flawless, easy to install. I ran an extra ground wire straight to the battery to be on the safe side.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1993 MB 500E, 1965 MB 220b
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I upgraded my 1965 220b's ignition with a Crane Fireball XR700 2 seasons ago (basically for similar maintenance reasons as others have posted). I was quite happy with the results. The only thing we vintage drivers must remember is that we are adding-on new technology components to an exisiting mechanical distributor "host" that can be 30 to 50 years old. A real result of what can happen follows:

To end last year's driving season, I went for an extended drive culminating under high speed conditions. Everything performed fine. I was very pleased with this aspect of the EI unit. I then put the car into storage for the winter. I brought the car out of storage 2 weeks ago. This is a car that I've had for nearly 30 years. It has been mechanically very well maintained. I squirted a little gas into the dual Solex carbs (as I usually do if the car has sat for a prolonged time) & the car started right up & ran smoothly. Choke was barely necessary at all. I was very pleased with this aspect of the EI unit.

I then adjusted the tire pressure, made sure all lights worked, added some fresh gasoline & went for a ride on a gorgeous St.Patrick's Day. The drive included in-town & highway. Before I got too far out of town, the ignition back-fired several times, then died as I was halfway up a highway off-ramp. It was running spectacularly up to that point. I turned the key, it started promptly, ran for 5 seconds, then died again. Upon inspection, I saw something that I don't recall ever seeing before...the cast iron distributor housing had actually fractured a bit more than half its circumference from one grounding screw hole to a cap clamp screw hole!! You could easily slide a playing card within its gap. This fracture caused a disruption which broke a section of the "tooth" holding the rotor in its fixed position on the distibutor shaft. The back firing occured once the rotor moved out of its proper position. I flatbedded the car home.

So, to make a long story shorter, I purchased a new 123Ignition for the best price I could find (prices vary significantly!). I too saw their video comparison, read all the info I could find on this item & searched far and wide regarding prices. I am in the process of installing this unit. I'll provide an update on the results. I chose this item because all of the EI technology is housed in a single brand new mechanical unit. It is a direct replacement unit. I knew my original Bosch distributor (even though serviced properly) was my ignition's weak link simply because of its 45 years of mechanical wear. I am really looking forward to driving this car knowing its replacement distributor is brand new & technologically optimized.

This mechanical failure experience formed my decision in purchasing the 123Ignition.
1. I wasn't going to replace an old distibutor with another old distibutor (even though I have the spare parts I need).
2. I wasn't going to purchase a new replacement Bosch distributor, only to upgrade it with my Crane EI components.
3. I wasn't going to let the car languish by doing nothing just as the driving season is getting ready to start & I wasn't going to sell the car just because the distributor crapped out!

You probably bought your MB because you like it & want to enjoy driving it around for as long as you can. The decision to upgrade to EI is sound. The decision regarding the extent of the EI upgrade really comes down to a pay now or pay later situation. Based on your car's condition & your monetary situation, which extent of the EI decision will allow you to pay less in the long run??

I will most likely put the Crane EI system up for sale. It is complete with all original components necessary for 4,6 or 8 cylinder car ignitions, documentation & box. I was very pleased with its performance but no longer have an immediate use for it.

PS - check your distributor housing for fractures running between its various screw holes.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes 280 SE 3.5 coupe, pagoda 230 SL '64, 500 E W124, CE 220 Cabrio, E 320 T W211, w126 6.0 AMG
If you seen there are several systems on the market, all are reliable and functioning well. I used all of them in the last 10 years. I think what you will use depends on what you have. If you distributor is good (no joke, thight bearings) and you are able to registrate the vacuum unit un it using the stroposkope the petronix, ignitor, luminition are good for you (lower cost). If you distributer shows any wear so use the 123-ignition.
If you will go a step on you can decide to make a Megasquirt conversion with modern ignition and efi. If your car is carburator it is possible to, using injectors like that one used on older Chryslers ('80). Singelpoint injectors will fit in the carbs. Triggerwheel in the diestributor wich an optical sensor and a large band lambda. You will end up with a new old car. If you have a mechanical-injection, HK-ingeneering made a regulator (stepper-motor) instead of the centrifugal injection regulation. A sort of mechatronic injection system with lambda controll, repruduceable with Megasquirt.

Best Pagodino
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Yep - go Pertronix. I've got one in my 108 and it made a world of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in