post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '72 280SE barn find
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Change to Vac Advance Dist

Is there a benefit to getting rid if my vac retard distributor and replacing it with a vac advance dist? My car is a '72 280SE M130 engine. A friend has a vac advance dist from what he believes was a 220SB engine. I'll post the part number when he finds the dist.

If it's not broke it dosen't have enough features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2003 230 Kompressor, 1970 280SL, 1991 300SL, 1970 SEL Limo
Vacuum retard

Keep your vacuum retard distributor. When set up correctly, they work quite well. I believe your distributor is a 061 or 062. Vacuum for this unit is pulled from (after) the throttle body. If you decide to go with a 009, you will need to install a vacuum port pre throttle body.

Now when I say, set up correctly. I am speaking of the speed realy system that activates the advance. Is yours working?

I have 2 cars with this system, (both are working correctly) and they run awesome. I've thought about installing a 123 Ignition distributor just to play with it, but have yet to do so.

Are you running points, pertronix, crain system?

Michael
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '72 280SE barn find
(Thread Starter)
Michael,

The car runs fine but eats points so I am considering Pertronix. The vac system seems to work when the engine is warm. Cold the vac sol clicks on & off causing the engine speed to cycle up & down. Haven't checked total advance.

Since I am going to make changes to the dist I figured that I could eleminate the maze of relays and sol's and let the vac advance do it's job.

What year throttle body has ported vacuum?

Charlie

If it's not broke it dosen't have enough features.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadurning View Post
Michael,

The car runs fine but eats points so I am considering Pertronix. The vac system seems to work when the engine is warm. Cold the vac sol clicks on & off causing the engine speed to cycle up & down. Haven't checked total advance.

Charlie
That's the system doing its job. It uses a temp controlled solenoid (140 degrees F, I believe) to control the retard diaphragm. It doesn't retard the system at warm-up or when the A/C is on. Coupled with the warm-up regulator on your injection system it does have an effect on the idle setting on your car at the intermediate temperatures.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2003 230 Kompressor, 1970 280SL, 1991 300SL, 1970 SEL Limo
vacuun retard

Mike D. is correct. The system you have have a 70 deg cel grounding switch. It's located on the engine block just below the injection pump. When the car is cold, it grounds the switch, in turn, grounding the 2-way valve letting the advance activate. Once warmed up, everything should be fine.

If you are burning points, make sure you have the correct inline resistor. (Make sure it's working)

Fluctuation in timing could be a number of things. Is your distributor badly worn?

Does your car still have the trasistorized ignition?

Also, to answer your question on when they moved the vacuum to after the throttle body, I'm not really sure. But I think it happened mid to late 1969. (I have seen 69's with both set-ups) It was a real weird time for car manufacturers and emissions controls. Designs changed from year to year in the early 70's.

Pertronics is a good system. With the Pertronics you can bypass the transistorized system, keeping only the .6 resistor.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in