Not getting the power I should...HELP!!! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would have helped to know you had a manual transmission. It would have saved my time.

Of course the transmission isn't slipping, and you're right, it doesn't have any filters.

You have an engine problem that is probably related to a compression leakdown that is causing you to lose power. Your water pump isn't going to do it. Your accessories aren't going to do it. It may be the induction system, but I doubt it. If it seems starved for fuel, maybe that's it.

Go back and read my first post. You have a heavy, underpowered car. It's tired.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I just laughed for a while
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubeguy View Post
I just laughed for a while
I did too. After a minute.

In the words of my favorite comic, Ron White, "You can't fix stupid."

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
DAMN! Can't fix me????

So allow me to recap - poor power up a hill, even when shifting into a lower gear to compensate, reasonable acceleration on level ground...

Compression test or leakdown test results?

Any luck so far?

Last edited by Grubeguy; 01-21-2010 at 10:30 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
(Thread Starter)
Are you calling me stupid DrJ? I came here for help not to be called stupid. And for my point, you should have known it was a manual because in my first post I said "when I shift into second" so I thought you had known and not just waasting your time. I'm good with cars but have never owned a foreign car so I wanted to know a few things from some benz owners just to be sure. Not representing a good name for the mercedes community for me right now......
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugedodge2000 View Post
Are you calling me stupid DrJ? I came here for help not to be called stupid. And for my point, you should have known it was a manual because in my first post I said "when I shift into second" so I thought you had known and not just waasting your time. I'm good with cars but have never owned a foreign car so I wanted to know a few things from some benz owners just to be sure. Not representing a good name for the mercedes community for me right now......
Right now all we know is you have a W108 that has a power problem. Have you done anything that has been suggested yet? If you would fill out your profile like we asked, we might suggest a repair shop you can trust, or you might find a member who will meet you face-to-face to help.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I'll give you one if you like. I'm trying to help you, and you aren't providing the information that will allow people who know these cars to do that. General questions get general answers. If you'll help us understand exactly the nature of your problem beyond it won't pull hills very well, there might be someone who can give you a precise fix.

It may be you've got a big heavy car with not enough power and you live in a hilly part of the country. We don't know any of that.

You should to think twice about who is and who isn't representing the community. Most people here will help you if you ask a question that has an answer and you give enough information for people to use effectively. I am certainly one of them.

You have been offered a couple of ideas. Have you done what has been suggested, or are you content to continue to search for the magic answer? We don't know--you don't know--we don't have enough information to help you. Help us, and we'll return the favor.

Good luck in finding a solution to the problem.

Last edited by DrJfrmLA; 01-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
(Thread Starter)
Not wanting to fight either but that last comment you made about can't fix stupid I didn't like. I have not been able to do any of the offered suggestion because I am waiting for my new water pump to come in in the morning. I have changed all fluids, vaccum hoses, fuel hoses in the last couple days. Just to be safe. Ill let you guys know tomorrow after I get it in and take the compression tests too. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in