post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1962 220S(200d engine),1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75,1984 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
Thats a god site! A lot of usefull information. Sins mine have power steering it can be a 1964-1968 then. I dont really know yet due to the lack of plates and the owners bad memmory...
But the car on the pic, isent it just the 220 and not the 220s? thinking of the lack of crome on the fin? Or did that came first with the 64 models?

Im told the engins in the w124 dont fit the original gerbox in the w111, but i dont know if it fits in the enginebay...

if your speaking of the pic of my car it is an 62 220s and there is chromeon the fins,.
vin would be under the hood on the rad support if still there i cant find the vin on my w110 anywhere because someone removed the plates..the carbs you have in that one are the pain in the a$$ zeniths..im amazed the chrome looks so nice on that car for sitting for so many years

111 1962 220s (200d engine)
1995 S350
1983 300TD
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: MB 220Sb Found in the woods.
(Thread Starter)
The pic Thebenzbar posted, is that the car we are talking about now? Bekouse that one havent got the chrome trim all the way on the fin, I can just se the bit thats goes up from the backend...

The camera is lying, tha chrome is far from perfect, but its at least not rusty and with i bit of polish, who knows

Why are the carbs so bad?

And what does pepole think about the idea of replacing the original engine with a 300D from a w123?
I have a 300D+5 speed manual lying around that i know is in good condition, but i dont want the manual gearbox...

Excuse my spelling
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
The pic Thebenzbar posted, is that the car we are talking about now? Bekouse that one havent got the chrome trim all the way on the fin, I can just se the bit thats goes up from the backend...

The camera is lying, tha chrome is far from perfect, but its at least not rusty and with i bit of polish, who knows

Why are the carbs so bad?

And what does pepole think about the idea of replacing the original engine with a 300D from a w123?
I have a 300D+5 speed manual lying around that i know is in good condition, but i dont want the manual gearbox...

and yea the pic that benzbar posted is mine and the chrome is there maybe just the angle and lighting with the camera (these photos are from the first day i got the car too)
maybe see chrome a little better in theese pics...as for the zeniths each zenith acts diffrently so there a pain to get in sync and to drive perfect..i had them on my 68 280s w108 and i got rid of the engine for that reason.. as for the 5 cyl diesel lot of people have tried this conversion...i dont think anyones actually driving it yet..but big thing to remember is the gear ration the 220s has a very high ratioi think as high as a 4.07 witch will lead to a peppy diesel with a very low top speed, i believe if you can find a diff from a w110 diesel it will fix that problem(first time i heard some one say they didnt want a 5 speed though )..from people that did put them in i was told that if you have column shift your oil filter housing will hit it.

1995 S350
1983 300TD
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Now I see it I also spoted that you have two pieces of chrome paralell to the trunk that mine havent. Some sort of extras?

The oilfilter shuldent be that hard to move
I know that the 5 cyl diesel fits in the car, spoke to a guy from Finland and he had a w111 with engin+transmision from a w123. And he had a friend with a w111 orginal 6 cylinder and a automatic tranmision from a w123.
Therfor I beleew that te kombination w111 transmision+ 5 cyl diesel will be possible. The reason I want to keep the original trans is becouse of that I want the steering column selector. (hope that was understandible...)

If anyone know somthing about this transmission it would be great becouse I know nothing... Gear ratios, number of gears, name, wich cars it came with, how much power it can take before braking down.. everything.

If the low top speed is what i have to pay for having a w111 5 cyl diesel, then im the one that is going to be the first car in the ques (and if it ends upp with me being bored some night I know thers a w110 diesel att the scrapyard)

Excuse my spelling
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Now I see it I also spoted that you have two pieces of chrome paralell to the trunk that mine havent. Some sort of extras?

The oilfilter shuldent be that hard to move
I know that the 5 cyl diesel fits in the car, spoke to a guy from Finland and he had a w111 with engin+transmision from a w123. And he had a friend with a w111 orginal 6 cylinder and a automatic tranmision from a w123.
Therfor I beleew that te kombination w111 transmision+ 5 cyl diesel will be possible. The reason I want to keep the original trans is becouse of that I want the steering column selector. (hope that was understandible...)

If anyone know somthing about this transmission it would be great becouse I know nothing... Gear ratios, number of gears, name, wich cars it came with, how much power it can take before braking down.. everything.

If the low top speed is what i have to pay for having a w111 5 cyl diesel, then im the one that is going to be the first car in the ques (and if it ends upp with me being bored some night I know thers a w110 diesel att the scrapyard)

the chrome on the trunk was an add-on previous owner had put on that i later ripped off and threw away. remembered you will also have to fab your linkages..throttle linkage on the w111 is on pass side and on diesel on driver side...would actually be a much easier drop in if you could find a w115 240d 3.0, (240d 3.0 has throttle linkage on pass side, and oil filter at the bottom out of the way

1995 S350
1983 300TD
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for reminding me about the linkage, had totaly forgotten that bit.

Is it just the trottellinking and the oilfilter that are diffrent between them?

The w115 diesel isent exatly cheap here, many people want these bekouse the newer breake down and you dont nead to pay taxes on a car thats more than 30 years old. The petrol versions on the other hand you can get for free..

Is it posible to take the linkage from a w115 engine and put it on the w123 engine? I have no idea of how the linkage are sorted out in these cars right now, but I will do some recherche.

Excuse my spelling
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Quote:
The w115 diesel isent exatly cheap here, many people want these bekouse the newer breake down and you dont nead to pay taxes on a car thats more than 30 years old. The petrol versions on the other hand you can get for free..
For free?
Do you know of any that's literally "free as in very cheap"? The next obstacle is actually importing it to the US... which translates to not cheap (logistics, broker fees, cargo/freight expenses, etc...).
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebenzbar View Post
For free?
Do you know of any that's literally "free as in very cheap"? The next obstacle is actually importing it to the US... which translates to not cheap (logistics, broker fees, cargo/freight expenses, etc...).
Yes, i do mean "free as in very very cheap". acually i know of a red one with sunroof witch is given away to anyone who come and gets it. Manual gerbox, 4 owners and not so bad interior. Drowe it a month ago and well, everything works exept for the lamp in the glovebox.
The reason its given away is that its rusty. and when i say rusty, then I mean to rusty for anyone to fix it. Thers no flor left, no fenders, the doors will come of if its windy outside.. This car have been driven mostly in another town near the coast wher they spray the roads with salt every winter.

You dont want the car, of that im certain. A car that is to rusty to repair in the US, is conciderd as a perfect daily runner here in sweden. In the town I live in, according to the statistics, every 6,3 car you see on the road is an entusiast car. Right now, thers more than sixteen times as manny amarican cars from 1945-1970 in this country, as it was in 1975. And I can guarante you that more than 80% of these cars once has been standing at a scrapyard in the US.

If you still want the w115, right now thers a problem in the US harburs. Since the stockmarket collapsed prices on nice old amarican cars have been extremly low, and thanks to this, many petrolheads have imported one or two cars.
This has lead to that peopel here are waiting up to 14 month to be able to get ther new cars here to sweden, becouse of lack of contaners and cargospace in the ships. And when it after all is in sweden, nobody wants the container and the ships goes back nearly empty.
If you want, you can go to the page www.blocket.se and serch for cars on sale. its in swedish but I think you can sort it out The prices is in SEK but use google to transfer it to USD

This one fore exampel vas imported to sweden from the US in 1991 "only" 155 109 USD..

Back to the w111, If the picures i´we found is correct, then the trottellinkage coming out from the firewall on the drivers side and then go across to the other side?

Excuse my spelling
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E320
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Epsi ,

And all the others out there that are considering a resurrection of an old Benz . Here is a video documenting the journey of one individual that has decided to resurrect an old Benz....
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I havent forgot this car!

I took a drive out to the car yesterday and for the first time this year you can see some bits of it. Still half a meter of snow around it....

The trip was made mostly so that I could get a hold on the chassisnumber wich I nead to find the registeration number in the old archives.

I can have a BIG problem to get tis car registered with the w123 diesel engine... Due to the rules It might be necessery to CHANGE the front brakes. I say change becouse the rules DOSENT say I nead to IMPROVE the brakeforce.
Therfore, wich parts does I nead to fit drum breaks at the front?
1 Drum
2 hub/spindel
3 brakecylinder
4 brakepads
5 mounting kit with some springs and so..
something more?

I might go for just a litle bit smaler disk and/or different calipers if I find something that fits. It just have to work on the car for about an houer so I dont want to spend so much money..

Otherwise, it hasent happend somting with the work, have bought some smal brakeparts but noting special. In the summer I wont be able to work on it either due to work in another city and the winter isent realy over yet... Maybe in the autumn or next summer when I have graduated.

Excuse my spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in