Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'64 220S High Oil Pressure

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tgikal 
#1 ·
I've driven my 220s about 150~200 miles since I've gotten it and the entire time the oil pressure gauge goes right to the top. It's not stuck, when the car is off or about to stall the gauge will drop, but driving or anytime the engine is running at a good pace it sits right at the top.

Some one mention the oil filter may be plugged since I have yet to get around to changing that and the pressure gauge seems to come off the filter.

The thing that bothers me the most is oil leaks from the middle valve cover screw on the top of the engine. I've seen many of these engines with form-a-gasket around these screws so I'm thinking its not too uncommon, but I hope the oil pressure is not the problem.

It's been in storage 2 months now for winter and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas so I can get a head start on it next year.

#3 ·
Yep I´d agree with that.

My '64 220Sb always runs at '3' on the scale but temporarily drops to 1 or 1.5 at traffic lights etc.. before immediately returning to 3.

Light oil out of the valve bolts on top of the engine again is a common issue, if the valves are in good condition then dont worry. It takes some time to get used to the ins and outs of an old 220 but overall they´re roicksolid if looked after. Get out there and put some miles on the clock and you´ll gain confidence. I drive 500 miles in a day no problem and she cruises all day at 60-65 mph.

#4 ·
The leaky valve cover gasket, and the three copper ring seals should be replaced when you do the valve adjustment and timing chain slack check. Then do spark plugs while doing valve adjustment.

These motors will seep and do other things similar.
Old seals will seep, the worst leak is the rear main seal all
others can be renewed easily,
Great oil pressure, change oil too.

#5 ·
So oil pressure gauge all the way at the top is ok? Thats good.

The ONLY place it leaks oil is around the middle screw (of the three) at the top of the valve cover leaks none around the valve cover gasket, none at the oil pan and none at the rear.

The thing only has 63,000 on it. The only other problem is the power steering, has power to the right but not the left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.