Ponton - yes or no? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Gee, looks good Tom!
I especially like the interior with the white and blue - a lot like the 50's american cars I like. Did they come like that from the factory?
So is this going to be the cross-country tour mobile, in which case your hunt for a finny is off?
Good luck with getting the car reliable and sorted. My friend in Brisbane, Mercmad, is restoring a Ponton so it will be interesting to drive the two and compare them one day.
Cheers, Drew in Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey Drew - good to hear from you. Yep, this will (with luck!) be the car for the cross-country adventure. Lots of work to do, but the body and chassis seem sound. The interior is very close to the original, altho' the arrangement of blue/white on the seats is a bit different. Door panels are almost spot on. Dash wood has been resurfaced, and is lighter in tone than the original.

It'll be an experience to learn to use the Hydrak, which also needs a bit of tweaking. There's a gentleman here in New England who's the east coast guru of the ponton world. Really glad to have met him. The ponton owner's group "IPOG" on Yahoo has been incredibly helpful in guiding me along the way, checking out cars that are not in my immediate area, asking questions, making suggestions, etc.

Great group of fellow ponton-eers.

Drive safe!
Tom
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Wagon
Over the years I've owned a 1958 219 and a 1959 220SE sedan and driven them well over 50,000 miles. For a while, in the 1980s, the 220SE was our everyday car, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend owning one. I'd want a 220 though, not the less powerful 180 or 190, and the fuel-injected SE has significantly better performance than the carbureted S (starts and runs better, too).

Good points: relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain, more interesting and different from the ubiquitous SL models, useful, and they have a certain charm. Drawbacks: not the best brakes or heater (what air-conditioning?), go only about 100,000 miles between valve job (usually it's the guides that wear), the Hydrak clutch can be troublesome (but can be converted), and a good older mechanic helps a lot.

As usual, rust is your enemy. For more, see my book, The Illustrated Mercedes-Benz Buyer's Guide.

Frank
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: SL 500 AMG, Porsche Panorama turbo, Bentely GT, Escalade, Ferrari F360 Spider
You got a good condition benz.

Authorized Lorinser Dealer

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) 728-1234
Cristina@satreatments.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in