LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 162 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunta View Post
Ok update. Ive take a closer look and a spacer needs to be fabricated to allow the centering of the calipers on the disc, given the mercedes mounting holes. Nevertheless, it looks like they will fit. Only problem is getting a set of hubs to suit. From what I have been told, the VC-VH commodore hubs will fit. I have a mate who has a set so we will see what happens
Why not just buy a couple of W126 rotors,bolt them to the W108 hubs? You then have seriously big rotors. A Pagadino says,the W126 560 calipers can be adapted very easily. No need to use GM garbage on your car. The Holden HQ and Comodore ( dunny door to everyone else) use the same bearings as the W108.In fact most Holdens use the same bearing,so do trailers in OZ,you can buy the bearings for trailers at supercheap for few bucks. if you are really cheapass.
I can remember if the hub is as deep as a mercedes hub .I have HQ discs on my roadster but I haven't touched them in 12 years...LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 162 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF21 View Post
A carb conversion wouldn't be too bad, you could also modify an fi manifold and weld a flange, the longer runners would actually help torque. They aren't super long like newer cars so you probably wouldn't have puddling or bad distribution..

Wrong.. the injection manifolds on any mercedes ( or any other engine) are what is known as "Dry manifolds".
They designed to move Air only ,not gaseous mix of air/Fuel .
The runner length on mercedes engines were designed using a formula which calculates the rev range and engine size. Chrysler came up with same formula in 1955.
Putting a carburetor ( besides being a retrograde step,it's 2010 not 1910 ) on a dry EFI manifold will see a dramatic decrease in power because the mix WILL puddle .
There is nothing wrong the Kjet,several million cars equipped with it prove this .If more control is wanted over the fuel delivery install one of the aftermarket setups .
I have a Friend who has a DVD on the installation of Mercedes Canbus into older cars so later merc V6 and V8's can be used .Mercedes has also done a late Diesel into a 190 to explore this also.
post #73 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 66 250 s 1997 E 420 1989 560 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post 560 (m117) into my 66 250 s

ok, so i've been searching/reading etc.... about all this.i rebuilt a 560 that bent the valves on the left bank......someone at work rolled a new chain in w/the starter haha,anyway i got the motor,its out of an 89 560 sec.i'm having an intake manifold made so i can simplify the swap (yes using a carburetor,also headers and an msd universal crank trigger/flying magnet trigger).so heres the dilema....i had parts dept. look up motor mount brackets for a w108 w/ a v8......$800 also no longer availible...will the mount brackets from the sec work? or should i just tell the fab guy i need 'em made?now i know there may be many many questions regaurding what i'm trying to do here but my main focus is the brackets.yes the holes for the stock injectors (in the heads)were filled. i beleive that mechanicly the m117 is stout enough for tons of power,(fab guy already wants to build one and he really knows his motors.....never seen this before so i guess my crazy idea to do this wasnt such a bad one) any help w/bracket/mounts would be great thanks to anyone that responds. i'm a benz tech and just cant see an american v8 go in this car....its gotta be a benz even if slightly "americanized"
post #74 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
3.5 and 4.5 engine mount brackets as found on the W108, 109 and 111 will be a straight fit as far as you also use 3.5 or 4.5 engine mounts.

What exhaust manifolds are you using? On an LHD 560 SL exhaust manifolds will clear the W108 chassis rails, firewall, steering box and linkages.

I would be quite interested in seeing pictures of your carb intake manifold. I've been considering that route at one point before reverting to Megasquirt.
post #75 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 1968 250SE
SBC in a 108

my 250SE's engine was pulled and replaced with a 1990 Corvette TPI mill hooked to a 700R4 transmission. The physical challenges with this swap were:
- lower area of transmission tunnel needed to be clearanced
- custom rear transmission cross member built using GM transmission mounts
- custom engine/chassis mounts built using GM engine mounts to attach engine to stock engine cross member
- custom exhaust
- custom built all aluminum high efficiency radiator
- engine oil pump/oil pan and stock Benz steering wanted same space - modified oil pan built
- stock steering box and rear left corner of engine wanted same space
- replaced stock steering system with rack&pinion system
my car has a 3.92 Ring & Pinion which was great for the stock engine, but is too quick for the V8 - the car is stupid quick but horrible at cruise speed. It needs either a 3.27 (from a 4.5) or a 2.8:1 R&P (from a 6.3)

There are still a few things to address, but overall this modification is a blast. Have patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz Engine Bay.jpg
Views:	5511
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	302313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine2.jpg
Views:	5015
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	302316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Mount1.jpg
Views:	3042
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	302317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiators.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	302318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunnel Mod.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	302319  

post #76 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

see the cars are so great chassis wise,great brakes for the time period by far!!! i just can't bring myself to do the chevy/ford thing......i did think a 360 dodge once though......i think that ls-1 looks awesome btw. i lowered mine about 3 inches and have w209 clk 17" 5 spoke wheels on it and its a freakin go-kart?????its the best thing i've done hands down.btw any modern wheel fits except w211-220-and obviously any truck wheel,but they bolt right on,no spacers,just need a set of w203 lug bolts.but anyway i need to post some pics of my car , my intake manifold is currently under construction,i'll post pics of the whole project as i get them.also to answer the exhaust manifold question i'm having headers made.... i'm thinking side pipes but blacked out not chrome.
post #77 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

also been reading about the brake conversion thing,thursday night i'm test fitting hubs/rotors/calipers from a 2wd w203 (early 203) and a 2wd w210.compared my old calipers i never returned (core) to the front calipers from a brake job on a w203 today.......bolt spacing exact match,even the mounting bolts screwed right in haha!! i'll let everyone know how it went if intrested.it will certainly be cheaper, and easier service for sure if it all lines up correctly.bearing part #' same for w108,and w203 at any dealership sooooooo maybe,just maybe............................
post #78 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
A 'vette engine in a Mercedes... Nice! I'm giving consideration to using a 6.3 dodge hemi myself ...
post #79 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice Gustav, very nice!! Your engine mount setup is very similar to mine. I didnt have to make the same tunnel modifications as you as I am using a turbo 350 gearbox. I have a W109 6.3 diff that should be about perfect for the twin turbo 350. Instead of mounting the gearbox oil coolers up front, mine are underneath, with their own thermos running at 100% duty and up front, where your gearbox coolers are I have an intercooler.

Mercmad you make me laugh, Im not pissed off at anyone, Im not shitty either. As gustav has exemplified, the conversion will work and as Ive told you, if I had the money, I wouldnt even bother doing a project, Id just import a 6.3, but I dont so I do. Still no word on a so called mate that was helping me out with hubs, Ive still got the stock merc fronts on there, which are NO WHERE near good enough, and things have slowed on the merc, with university taking the front seat until June.

I am changing the merc stuff to holden stuff due to COST and AVAILABILITY. I dont have the cash to purchase remakes of 40 odd year old car parts from Germany. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to go holden (read chev) and if I break a part, I know I can drive 10 minutes down the road and get a replacement, AT A QUARTER OF THE PRICE of merc gear, which, even they even make it anymore, will take weeks to get in from overseas.

Mercmad, you need to get off your Mercedes high horse. If we had the money, as you do, then sure, we could afford the original, but for some of us, who still LOVE the shape and the beauty of the old mercs, it just aint possible.
post #80 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

i really need a set of v8 engine mount brackets for a w108,or let me know what else would work pleeeeaaase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in