V8 swap into I6 280SE W108 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I would LOVE to have a 6.3 in a 111 or 112! Anyone have one for sale??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I am doing a 450V8 swap into my finny, which has basically the same front end as the 108 (though a smaller trans tunnel). I tried with a 302 Ford, but being a RHD car, I had issues with the starter motor fighting for space with the steering box. The sump was also no good unless you want to sit the engine up high in the engine bay (no good for handling).
Some pics - 302 windsor in my finnie. Note how high it has to sit to clear things.
Next is a 302 windsor in a mates finnie. Sounds awesome!
Then lastly is the 450 in my finnie (still in progress).

Attachment 280242
Attachment 280243
Attachment 280244

Castlemaine Rod Shop in Victoria Australia do make kits for putting the windsors into 108's - google them.
However, if you are after something quick, I would track down an alloy 500 or 560 Mercedes motor and put that in. Apart from a bit of opening up of the trans tunnel if you have an early car, the motor and trans just bolts in. Swap in the rear end from a 4.5 V8 car to get the lower diff ratio.
That ozbenz chev one was a bit of a disappointment. The guy was talking of a rack and pinion conversion, but when I looked at his pics, I reckon he was in for a lot of bump steer. When I quizzed him about this, he said he woud drive the car and see if it worked. The guy was already in a wheel chair, so maybe he felt he had not much to lose?? Anway, have a look at his website ( cripple dot hioctandesigns dot com dot au) and make of it what you will.
He also talked of a mate with a lexus in his car but never saw any evidence of it. The engine looked too wide to me. There was also a yahoo group called something like the MB 302-351 engine swappers group but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Lastly, a guy once put a rotary into a finnie and did a rack and pinion conversion. All I remember was that he stuffed around for ages and ended up using a rack out of a VW rabbit (whatever that is, not here in Australia) but got it to work. Again, can't find it on the net but he had the name chickentech. I am too impatient to find them all again!
So, I still think if you want a quick swap go for a benz engine, preferably a 560/500.
Cheers,
Drew in Oz

Last edited by drew56cus; 12-20-2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: poor spelling
post #13 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes 280 SE 3.5 coupe, pagoda 230 SL '64, 500 E W124, CE 220 Cabrio, E 320 T W211, w126 6.0 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best Fit

I think the best fit is a M117 Aloy-engine with automatic tranny. The oilfilter has to change place ( only the first 5.0 is a straight fit), but ist is easy to do. The Radiator needs a better net and you have to change the fuel pump ,too. Ignition, originale EZl and KE-Jetronik.

Best pagodino
post #14 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
At the risk of having missed some crucial piece of information in this thread, you do know the W108 came with a 3.5/4.5 V-8, don't you? All the parts you need for that swap are off the shelf. The 6.3 also fits that engine bay (or the bay in the W109, more precisely). The 4.5 isn't the highest specific output motor you could find, but it's a sure fit. No worries with relocating oil filters, or having starters in the wrong place, or relocating steering boxes.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #15 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '70 280 SE 2.8
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for the responses so far! I have the car here, it may be just a seized starter, I won't have time to mess with it until maybe the weekend. If it starts up and runs well, that will definitely buy almost unlimited time to figure out what to do with it

If the motor is bad, I'll have plenty of great condition engine-related parts for sale soon

It's super clean, the interior is pretty much perfect, outside has one very slight dent in the rear quarter, but that's it. No door dings or anything, all original. The chrome has pitted for whatever reason, so if I get it running I'll prob just get those replated and the car should look literally as good as new.

Drew you're right about the lexus V8 being wide, which is why I asked. I do have 3 of them just laying around taking up space, which is why I wanted to use it thought. I still may sooner or later, since I can fix them for close to nothing too. I'm just mostly worried about reliability, decent mileage, and minimization of future maintenance.

Rack and pinion could be a cool upgrade too, I'd have to find a rack with the right width if anything. Sounds like more headaches than I want to deal with right now lol I already have a customer's car here I'm doing a rack conversion which is being a feisty handful (64 ford galaxie), so I've had enough of endlessly jigging and measuring bump steer for the time being.
post #16 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew56cus View Post
The guy was talking of a rack and pinion conversion, but when I looked at his pics, I reckon he was in for a lot of bump steer. When I quizzed him about this, he said he woud drive the car and see if it worked. The guy was already in a wheel chair, so maybe he felt he had not much to lose??
LLLOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Lastly, a guy once put a rotary into a finnie and did a rack and pinion conversion. All I remember was that he stuffed around for ages and ended up using a rack out of a VW rabbit (whatever that is, not here in Australia) but got it to work. Again, can't find it on the net but he had the name chickentech.
A Rabbit is the VW A1 golf/gti chassis. I don't think any had power steering though??? Still a good lead for possibly correct rack width though!
post #17 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Well UCF, it sounds like you know a bit about cars, so good luck!
I would love to see someone tackle a R&P conversion for this model. I know of 3 of us who would love to do this to open up more engine conversion possibilities. So if you do end up going this route and make some templates, you may be able to recoup some $ for your time

At least with these cars you can sit the whole front end on a bench to work on!

I drove a mates 1960's 5 tonne Bedford truck the other day. It looked like a POS, but it had had a lexus V8 conversion - man that thing went! Sounded amazing, but just so reliable as well. Pity you are so far away as if we could solve the R&P issue, you would end up with 2 less lexus motors cluttering up your shop!
post #18 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Well UCF, it sounds like you know a bit about cars, so good luck!
I would love to see someone tackle a R&P conversion for this model. I know of 3 of us who would love to do this to open up more engine conversion possibilities. So if you do end up going this route and make some templates, you may be able to recoup some $ for your time

At least with these cars you can sit the whole front end on a bench to work on!

I drove a mates 1960's 5 tonne Bedford truck the other day. It looked like a POS, but it had had a lexus V8 conversion - man that thing went! Sounded amazing, but just so reliable as well. Pity you are so far away as if we could solve the R&P issue, you would end up with 2 less lexus motors cluttering up your shop!
Ok, so I got into this thing more, and #5 got some moisture in it for who knows what reason, but it's pretty much toast. This motor is seized, prob the rings are glued to the walls, I almost have the head off just need to get the timing chains off the cam gear. I suspect I'm not going to like what I see, nothing that I can even rig up with a hone and some new rings just to get it running, so I have a 90% feeling that I will have all of the engine and drivetrain parts for sale very soon

Everything on the motor seems to be in tip top condition otherwise, some of the hoses are hard but other than that, all the parts are nice. If anyone wants anything offhand that they can think of now, let me know. I'll probably be posting a separate parts thread in the for sale section in the next week or two...blah!

As far as the rack and pinion, I took a look and it doesn't look too bad. Honestly, how much would people be willing to spend for a conversion though? It would have to be around $1000us or probably more to be worth trying to sell. I've never really seen this kinda stuff pan out, people seem to scatter like roaches when it's time to talk real money being forked over LOL
post #19 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, this motor is toast, I'm selling off what I can, and it's coming out later today if I have time. Driveline from the transmission forward is for sale if anyone needs, including cooling and accessories...

Oddly, since Toyota/Lexus did so much copy-engineering of Mercedes when they designed their V8, that a LOT of the mounting looks suspiciously similar. I have an inkling that things won't be so far off to be a huge amount of fabrication to put in this Lexus 4.0. The mounts for the motor and trans are even the same style. It is highly possible I will only need to drill 4 holes in the crossmember just to get a first test stab at fitting.

I guess I can keep updating in this thread, since a couple of y'all seem to have some interest in it.

So first off I'm going to measure exactly the location of the front of the crank center and the rear output shaft of the trans (3 dimensionally), so that I don't have issues with pinion angle and location. Especially being an IRS setup, this is absolutely critical. Before the motor comes out I'll have to assess the condition of the mounts as well, to see if I might have to adjust these measurements accordingly. I have a feeling the numbers will be ok as-measured.

I've also looked more closely at the steering/rack issue, and I'm just going to put in this motor first, and then see what the deal is. A rack conversion looks very doable in a kit form, but if I don't need to do it now, I don't want to waste the time. I don't really have a lot of time to spend on this car right now, and I'd just like to get it running for the time being. (Well unless there's any legitimate interest from at least 2-3 people I'm not going to bother until later)

Heater, a/c, p/s lines all look like no big deal.

I'll need to have a radiator made, or if I'm lucky a universal one in the right size is available. Definitely aluminum. Decent amount of room for hose routing so I guess I may have more choices with the inlet/outlet locations which should help.

Electrical seems to be pretty straightforward, shouldn't be much issue.

Shifter already has the proper number of stops and positions, so that is great!

Only issue will need to be an electronic to mechanical speedo converter, but that is minor.

Also will try to adapt the in-tank Lexus fuel pump assembly into the stock tank.

The driveshaft couplers look very much alike too, that would be quite amazing if the bolt circles ended up the same diameter

So we'll see how this goes, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to commit to this, at least not as much as I'd like.
post #20 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '72 280SE barn find
UCF21,

I'm interested.

If it's not broke it dosen't have enough features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in