V8 swap into I6 280SE W108 - Page 12 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gwunta,

LS3 or 5.3L LC9 is the same thing in terms of size, just one is more money! I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

In the meantime what's great about these LSx motors is that you can get a 20lb plastic version with threaded inserts to mount an oil pan or accessories. So you can just pick up the motor with your hands and see how things are going to fit. Rather than constantly popping in the real thing back and forth with an engine hoist.

For reference: LS1 engine block at bottom of page here:
P-Ayr

GM recommends, for the automatic version of their e-rod, to mate to a 4L65e trans which I believe is the same case as the 700R4 and a plastic one of those is here:
P-Ayr

So I can do fit checks with these plastic things and then sell them on ebay when I'm done for probably 75% of initial value. Its like you are renting them if you can resell later.

Is the Tremec gearbox same thing as the T-56 manual 6 speed? I am not sure how the T-56 and the 700R4/4L60e/4L65e trans compare in size. Something to research. I was hoping to not have to pound out the tunnel, but again, when I get that point I will evaluate the situation and make a judgement call.

In my research prior to buying w108 I found out that the USA 280SE 4.5s have the same brakes as the w109 6.3 SELs. They use the vented front discs (not sure on the rear yet). Also, I've read some posts that some of the 4.5s have the same re-inforced rear differentials as the 6.3s.

As you know G, so many different problems to solve, so many things to learn, but for me, that is the fun of it. Thing is, I am not a fabricator, or welder, just a mechanical engineer who loves to build things and work on my own cars. This is biggest type of project I have ever planned to tackle but I know I can do it.

Thanks for the reassurance on the steering box thing, I was wondering about that.

All the best,
Ricardo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mate, one of those plastic engines would have saved me soooo much time and effort, what a fantastic idea!! I agree the whole journey of making it all fit is enjoyable - to a point (it can get super frustrating sometimes). I am not a welder, fabricator or engineer. Im an IT guy who has rebuilt cars in the past (before I ended up in a wheelchair) but the skills I have picked up along the way by just giving it a go have been invaluble. Ive learnt to weld and fabricate and, with a little advice from various people in the know, I can now build pretty much whatever I like.

I think those T-56 boxes are the same as the tremec in terms of physical dimensions but I havent looked into it very deeply (I no need to as I dont use them). I also think the diff ratios are different between the 6.3 and 4.5 although the cases may be the same. If you are thinking about lowering your 108 then get a 6.3 diff for sure, as they are set up for air suspension which allows them to keep as much of the tire on the road as possible at various ride heights.
post #113 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post

For reference: LS1 engine block at bottom of page here:
P-Ayr

GM recommends, for the automatic version of their e-rod, to mate to a 4L65e trans which I believe is the same case as the 700R4 and a plastic one of those is here:
P-Ayr
WAY freakin' cool!! Totally handy to have, well before actually buying the engine!! NOT having to install/deinstall the engine and tranny a coupe times to ensure the best fit is perfect!
post #114 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

What's also neat about these plastic engines is that I don't have to sitting on thousands of dollars of engine and transmission while I work out fundamental fit issues. It's like carrying inventory. Remember this is a personal garage project and not a 3 week professional garage engine swap. So the plastic engines & trans give me the luxury of time and then when I am ready with the cash can purchase the real thing and install relatively quickly.

I will also be chasing the relative low dollar mechanical refurbishment stuff first while saving for the next big round of expenses.

All the best,
Ricardo
post #115 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.T View Post
Turn the benz into a drift car and slap a 2JZ-GTE motor. That would be nice .
someone shop in australia did this, it was in the new modified magazine.
post #116 of 162 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Hey guys its update time again.....

This one's pretty exciting for me as there has been a ton of work done on the car. The new intercooler pipework is now done (although it needs some serious polishing), a brand new custom made Aussie Desert Cooler radiator is nwo in, a custom made sump with modified LS1 pickup is now in and the steering has now been sorted out. A custom made Y piece for the inlet manifold has been made and fitted, as have the BOV's and the dump pipes are also done. The gearbox crossmember was turfed for a stronger one, made from 50mm square tube and an aluminium oil catch can has been fabricated and fitted into the engine bay. I threw the car onto a car trailer and took it to a car show to see the response (15 bucks entry was a bonus) and the car got quite a lot (perhaps too many) of "what the fu#k????"

I'll let you guys judge about how it all looks now....Only problem with the engine bay shots is that the stock mercedes grille casts shadows on the engine bay as the grille is attached to the bonnet. Might have to modify that next I think. Anyway, pic time....

post #117 of 162 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Member

Removed duplicate post

Last edited by gwunta; 11-16-2010 at 07:03 PM.
post #118 of 162 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
What kind of console did you use for the center? Aside fro the LCD, it doesn't look like stock Mercedes (and it's giving me ideas for my own restoration project!)
post #119 of 162 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Gwunta,

Look very good. Love the interior. I think you already know you have WTF? car in that it is not the mainstream hotrod type vehicle but who cares. Your execution looks fantastic and I can respect that.

I'm still setting up my garage and just bought a compressor and will get some air tools and will hopefully start my w108 project over the xmas break.

I'm looking forward to your next update or engine bay shots.

Ricardo
post #120 of 162 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Yeah Grubeguy, I think that console came from a 114, it was soooo long ago that I got it that Im a little hazy on where it came from, pretty sure it was 114 though. I was more after a functional interior but stuck with Benz stuff (aside from the shifter and touch screen of course), oh and the aftermarket electric window kit. A mate here also converted his manual windows to electric using some stock Ford Falcon electric window regulators and electrics. He also deleted the rear fuel filler door and fabricated a side access one using a ford filler door and solenoid.

Riccardo, I thought I had posted pictures of the bay, please see pics below, she's really starting to take shape now. If you need any advice on your build please give me a shout, I'll also post some pics of the modded sump, rack, tailshaft and exhaust when its been fabricated.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in