V8 swap into I6 280SE W108 - Page 11 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After the article in Street Machine I got asked to bring the car tot he Hot Rod and Street Machine Specatular over here in WA. I was super nervous but accepted and then the pressure was on. I finally finished the engine build on Thursday at 4pm and by 11pm had the motor and gearbox bolted in. I worked through till 4am installing the stereo gear that was sent to me from Vibe audio in the boot and the doors. After getting 3.5 hours sleep, I was up at 7:30 and back no the job. I got the amps fitted, the seats in (thanks to my other half for them) and the newly painted bonnet springs and hinges on before the car was picked up at 4:45pm.

We got the car on the tilt tray and headed to Burswood dome. After setting up it was back home for 5 hours rest before we had to be back, polishing and finishing the last of setup. The response from the other competitors and spectators just blew me away. I got new turbo headers made up so the turbos are now high mount and it all fits under bonnet. It was one of two turbo v8's there (the other being a black torrie that made it ontothe cover of street machine magazine).

The old girl cleaned up quite nicely but certainly looked out of place. It was the only merc there and something very different from everything else there but it was all shiny and had heaps of chrome. I got a lot of comments about the coluor and interior so that was encouraging and on the Sunday winners of various categories were announced. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard my name called for the traders choice award!
Anyway, enough crapping on. I will let the photos say the rest. Oh yeah, and she's still not finished yet. Hoepfully by the end of the year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gwunta, I'm speechless. That's one excellent build. Everything seems in place. Hope you finish soon so you can just cruise it. Later.

post #103 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks mate, yeah I am really wanting to just fire it up and go but I have university committments until mid November so for now she just has to sit in the garage under a car cover waiting patiently for me to tend to her.
post #104 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That's an impressive job!

I'm curious: what did you do to the top of the chassis rails? They look flat on the picture when originally they hav that ridge all along.
post #105 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Gwunta,

Very impressive work and your blog has already inspired me to do something similar (non Mercedes engine swap into a W108). Thanks for sharing and congrats on the terrific showing. You deserve it. You've come such a long way from those early photos on your website.

Ricardo
1972 280 SE 4.5
post #106 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks Ricardo and 50$84sd for the kind words, Im pretty proud of what I have done so far. GGR, I spent over a month in that engine bay smoothing it out. I cut all the raised seams (ridges) off and seam welded the exposed sections together before grinding the excess weld off to get a smooth finish. I also filled all the spot weld marks in the engine bay, removed the battery holder (along with the bracket tht is welded to the left hand side guard) and re-routed the wiring down the inside of the right guard and through the front bumper "corssmember". I have a mate who does laser cutting and he is making up some polished stainless steel cover plates for the strut holes at the moment which will smooth out the engine bay a little more too.
post #107 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Gwunta,

I've always dreamed of owning a car with a clean engine bay like that. I am not sure I will go to the same lengths that you went to but it certainly sets the standard. I just want it clean and tight. I am just in the planning and dreaming stages and have a 2 year goal for getting everything done. I am starting out with a great car in terrific condition and just want to go and refurbish all the mechanical systems and hopefully put in a new driveline.

I just bought my W108 a few weeks ago and its in Chicago area now and will get picked up by the transporter next week to bring it out my home in California.

I am looking forward to more updates.

Ricardo
post #108 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks again Ricardo. Are you looking to transplant a new engine and driveline or just renew the existing mechanicals? Starting with a good car is certainly a huge head start. Keep it original and the value is sure to climb over the years. If you are looking at doing a non-mercedes engine then its going to be a long road but it can be very rewarding. I also have a deep blue W109 (with a 2.8L injected 6 cylinder) which I plan to keep in orgiinal condition for value purposes.

If anyone out there is interested, I am after another set of californian headlights for my blue W109. I would be willing to swap a set of Euro headlights for them and I will pay freight to get them here. If anyone is interested in a possible swap please let me know.

cheers

G

Below is my W109

post #109 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Gwunta,

Nice 109!

Yes, I am thinking to transplant a new engine and transmission. GM has started to release a new line of crate engines. It's called their E-rod line and what's available now is the LS3 (2010 Corvette motor). You get 2010 emission compliant motor, CARB certified, catalytic converters, engine control module, wiring harness, evap system, electronic accelerator pedal, etc. Its a complete plug and play system.

Now I think this is overkill for the W108 chassis (430 hp, 424ft-lbs torque) but they are also releasing their "value" motor, a 5.3L LS engine with an aluminum engine block probably at the November 2010 SEMA show in Las Vegas. Its been pre-announced already when the LS3 e-rod came out last yer. The specs on the 5.3L almost match exactly the V8s in the 6.3L 300SELs.

You can get more details on the LS3 e-rod here:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/E-ROD-Brochure.pdf

And yes, I plan for a long road. That's the point. To enjoy myself and work towards something to put another 100,000 miles on with modern emissions, reliability, fuel economy, and power.

My plan is to pull the motor and trans out of the car, refurbish all the mechanical systems (brakes, steering, suspension, etd) , and at some point put in the same motor, cleaned up rebuilt, back in, or change out to a modern LSx GM crate engine (I know this is blasphemous to some).

I ran into your website when I got the crazy idea to do this and scoured the web to find others who have tried something similar. I even saw some wild OZ-Benz posts from members who get a little too angry/excited by projects like yours.

Oh, here is my baby, bought a few weeks ago. Very, very clean, body and interior, just need a good mechanical going over.

All the best,
Ricardo

Last edited by RicardoD; 09-03-2010 at 09:55 PM.
post #110 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Oh Riccardo that thing looks immaculate - you are soooo far ahead of where I was when I started. Love the colour too! Yeah if I had the cash I would have got one of the LS motors. They will fit real neat into the bay and will clear the front crossmember too. I was going to say that you have to watch out for the steering bos but with yours being on teh left hand side it wont be a problem at all. Gearbox might be a problem for you though. I was JUST able to squeeze a turbo 700 gearbox into my tunnel and even then the tunnel needed some forceful massaging. Turbo 350 geaboxes are perfect for these cars.

There is a guy who is doing a ls2 into a later model merc, cant remember off hand which model (maybe early 1980's), and he found he had problems with the tremec gearbox squeezing into the tunnel. In the end he just set the engine further forward but it does look quite odd.

Go with the LS mate, and try and source yourself a set of late model corvette or camaro brake calipers and discs. If you can, find a sert of W109 6.3 calipers and vented discs. They will bolt straight on, are larger and will give you the stopping power you will need with a bigger power plant under the hood.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in