V8 swap into I6 280SE W108 - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
my 250SE's engine was pulled and replaced with a 1990 Corvette TPI mill hooked to a 700R4 transmission. The physical challenges with this swap were:
- lower area of transmission tunnel needed to be clearanced
- custom rear transmission cross member built using GM transmission mounts
- custom engine/chassis mounts built using GM engine mounts to attach engine to stock engine cross member
- custom exhaust
- custom built all aluminum high efficiency radiator
- engine oil pump/oil pan and stock Benz steering wanted same space - modified oil pan built
- stock steering box and rear left corner of engine wanted same space
- replaced stock steering system with rack&pinion system
my car has a 3.92 Ring & Pinion which was great for the stock engine, but is too quick for the V8 - the car is stupid quick but horrible at cruise speed. It needs either a 3.27 (from a 4.5) or a 2.8:1 R&P (from a 6.3)

There are still a few things to address, but overall this modification is a blast. Have patience.
That looks like a great installation Gustav, you definately need a diff ratio of between say 2.75 & 3.0:1 .The performance ratio in a c4 vette was 3.08 as a guide. That gave approx 2000 rev/min at 60mph/100km/hr with the o/d 700r4 trans.
Those TPI motors are torque(truck!) motors cause of the very long runners ,and run out of puff at 5000 rpm, unless you go to big mouth manifold or LPE super ram.Great for off the line stuff !! lots of wheelspin. very easy to get an easy 300hp at the rears & 27-30mpg ,0-60mph 5.3-5.6 sec with the right gearing.(very tall 1st gear in 700r4) .
Sponsored Links
post #92 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 1968 250SE
gwunta - I just looked at your webpage. Very impressive project. We all must tip our hats to you for overcoming the massive challenge you have to deal with. I like your idea of the Jag rear end, but where I am at, those are not very cost effective.
Our "friend" Mercmad is undoubtedly knowledgeable, but does appear to miss vision of thinking way outside of the box. My original idea for my car was to install a 6l V12 from a W140, but the procurement of that engine was not phisable. The same goes for the new 6.3 liter AMG engine and transmission. I wanted to keep my car an "all-Mercedes" but when a good friend of mine gave me the Chevy engine, all was done. But of course if Mercmad wants to donate 6.3 liter Mercedes powerplants to us, I will happily install it in my car.
As for the rear end - my search for a 300SEL 6.3L rearend is failing. I have sourced one from a 4.5L but the 3.27 ratio is still a little too quick and I doubt that it will hold the torque of my soon to be modified engine very well for the long term. On a recent trip to Germany, I inquired with Mercedes about purchasing a R&P for a 6.3L and was told that Mercedes no longer has that part number available globally.
My dream is the IRS from Kugel Komponents (Kugel Komponents), but its a little rich for my blood. The fall-back is the IRS from Heidts (Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle Car Parts - HEIDTS Superide IRS - Complete Package). As an alternative to both, I have been trying to find installation pictures of a Ford 9" solid rear axle (no lip from Mercmad here).
If anyone has installation pictures of a Ford 9" rear axle (or other live rear axle) into W108/109, it would be much appreciated if you could post them here or email them to me at bugracing@yahoo.com
post #93 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 66 hellkatt View Post
also been reading about the brake conversion thing,thursday night i'm test fitting hubs/rotors/calipers from a 2wd w203 (early 203) and a 2wd w210.compared my old calipers i never returned (core) to the front calipers from a brake job on a w203 today.......bolt spacing exact match,even the mounting bolts screwed right in haha!! i'll let everyone know how it went if intrested.it will certainly be cheaper, and easier service for sure if it all lines up correctly.bearing part #' same for w108,and w203 at any dealership sooooooo maybe,just maybe............................
How did it go?

Also a W124 rear end is a good option. You can weld a W124 valance available new and this eases fitting. Pagodino can tell you more about it.
post #94 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
noob question here:

when upgrading the engine why exactly is it important to upgrade the breaks as well?

I understand the the car will go faster but going from 80 to 0 is still 80 to 0 no matter how quickly you get there.

Is it because the engine will be putting out more force at idle?
The weight should be relatively similar from what I understand.

Hell I'd like to upgrade my breaks on my w114 250 just because they aren't that great in the first place, but I don't understand why it's so deadly important once you put a v8 in there.

The only thing that makes sense to me is you're planning on doing 0-40 and 40-0 in 3 seconds to move 30 feet between stop signs
post #95 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gustav, I know of a guy who has done the 9 inch conversion into a W108. This is a twin turbo 308 holden into a W108 with nitrous thrown in for good measure and yes, its for sale. There are some pictures of the 9 inch in place in the car but it looks like the rear chassis cross member section was cut to fit it in (I dont know if it affects the structural integrity of the car. He emailed me through my website a few weeks ago so if you need to ask some questions I can give you his email address.

Anyway, here's a link for the ebay listing for the car, which has the pictures you are after. TWIN TURBO NITROUS 308 DRAG CAR TUBBED MERCEDES $$SPENT (eBay item 220613112165 end time Jun-07-10 20:31:26 EST)

Mate, I had a look at those IRS rear ends, particularly the HEIDTS kit and it looks like a shiny version of my jag rear end. I just sold the jag diff yesterday actually, but I can tell you its a hell of a lot cheaper than the HEIDTS kit, but of course, I spent some time getting it to fit. I would recommend going down the jaguar diff path if you are constrained by budget, or consider a 4 link rear if you are going high horsepower. The other option may be a Holden Monaro rear end, which is remarkably similar (at least in looks) to a 114 4.5 diff. The Monaro's handle up to a 6.6L engine. I think over your way they are called a Pontiac GTO.
post #96 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
That Heidts rear end looks like a nice unit. Price goes up to almost $10,000. if you want it all polished and with posi though. Later.

post #97 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 72 280 se 4.5 and a bunch of other german cars
this link here will basically give you the ideal of how to back half a car--- it is for a 79-99 mustang. yet same theory/method applies for our uni-body benzes.