LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1972 Benz 250 - horn troubles!

Proud new owner, but my horn keeps buzzin when i turn the wheel, and only sometimes. just started today.. WHAT IS GOING ON?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 04:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Poor connection somewhere. When you turn the wheel, I'll bet it makes intermittent but poor contact.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
(Thread Starter)
thanks, yeah i figured out how to disconnect the horn until monday rolls around and i can take it in.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1975 240d w115.117
Send a message via AIM to allenb83
I am having the horn worked on at the electricial shop too, and he took the whole sterring wheel out. It was under water and he found corrosion where the steering wheel turned on the axis, where two plates are that run along eachother and conduct electricity. He took a wire brush to them and said they are getting voltage now and should work. I am thinking you have the same problem with corrosion or buildup in the connection. Its not difficult to take your steering column apart and you might be able to save some money if your wanting to put forth the time.
Good luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
That's not so bad. I can disconnect my horn switch (with wires not touching anything out of the steering column in plain sight) and the horn still goes off. apparently, the line side goes to the horn and the ground side goes through the switch. I have a short somewhere

Former MB: "Miss Juliana" - 1972 280SEL 4.5
Current MB: 2013 C250
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1975 240d w115.117
Send a message via AIM to allenb83
When I picked up my car and turned the key to the on position the other day from the electrician guy, the horn would be on constant.
He took the cover off the steering wheel middle, and explained to me that there should be only one wire going to the horn. There should be 2 wires, one connected to the outer horn plate, the plate that has a spring on it, as a plug in type connection, which is a colored wire, and another one connected to a metal part of the steering wheel with a screw, which is black.
What he did, he unplugged the colored wire and cut the black wire, and spliced a connector plug to it, and plugged the black wire in where the colored wire was previously. It works fine now, on contact. I may be getting the color of wires mixed up, but I know for sure the location is correct.
Hope this helps you!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

I forgot to mention, the line side goes to the horn first, its the ground side that goes to the switch. In other words, if the horn or the ground side of the horn shorts to the ground/body, it will go off.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
I am guessing you have a column shifter. If so, it is possible that the washer that holds the shifter rod( runs in the steering column) has come loose. Take out the steering wheel from the center nut, and it should be towards the right side. It is a C washler clip that snaps into the end of the shifter rod in the column. The should be a notch at the rod's end. If the clip is good, make sure it is tightly clapped on, if not, get a nother one.

When the shifter rod inside the column comes loose it will touch the horn connections when turning the wheel.

Hope this helps

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

My shifter is on the column and does feel loose.

When you say the center nut, you mean the one that's under the steering wheel, right? I have five bolts holding the steering wheel and the horn switch under that. Underneath that, I see a center bolt but I didn't know how it was tied in, so I didn't dig further.

By the way, my neighbor in LA, can I bribe you to help me take my dash apart with some Heinekens? it's already cracked and I have several repairs due back there and I'm worried about breaking it more/worse. I'm unable to find the bolt I've read about on the 'peach forums' that holds the instrument cluster.

so far on my 'to do' list for that area:

-check the solder-fuse for the clock
-fresh air damper control going to the passenger side
-heater valve control/lever for driver side
-'pull out' radio housing removal
-speedometer (lube the wire...it currently bounces)
and most importantly
-check the wiper motor!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
Yes I am talking about that center bolt deep in there.... It is going to be nerve wrecking to put the bolt back on but you can manage just stick a piece of paper or electric tape between he bolt and the wrench when you're putting it back on, this will prevet the bolt falling from the socket everytime you try to reach deep in there to screw it back on.....

As far as the cluster.... It is not a bolt holding the cluster, it is a plastic nut, similar to the one that is holding you tail light bulb holder.... You need some delicate hands to get in there un an screw that plastic nut....Visually is falls between the center of the cluster and is easier reached from the right side of the steering column.....As far as helping you doing it, I am sorry man....I haven;t gotten dirty with cars for a while and do not have a desire to do so.... You do not need to remove your dash, however. There are cood dash caps available that you can nicely glue on top of yours.... If you put time and love into it you can make it real nice....Winshield glue would be the best to use....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in