LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1956 Buick Century Coupe, 1937 Pontiac Business Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dash is in. Not perfect, but better than my old one. Speedo cable hooked up, instrument cluster hooked up, drove around the block today, everything works, speedo, odometer, everything! Put new spark plug cables, (yes, I replaced the original ones...) new spark plugs, rotor, cap and installed the Pertronix kit. Ordered the Bosch Red Coil too. Hooked up the heater hard line, then I started taking things apart in order to install the new alternator. Thermostat housing, thermostat (will get a new one) and hoses. That is where I stopped. Spent 4 hours trying to line up the alternator, but for some reason nothing lines up... Top or bottom. Emailed Ron again see what he has to say... I hate to start a new thread, if any of you have any pictures on how to install the bottom bracket so both the pulleys and the stock adjustor line up, please post them. Once I am done with it I will write a complete detailed "how to" with lots of pictures, as this is not as easy as I thought it was going to be. Cut the carpet and took it to him to have it binded. I also told him to re-do my sun visors in white...
There seems to be a rhythmic "tik tik" coming from the instrument cluster as I was driving today, just around the block, I saw 30 mph... It has to do with the speed, the faster I go the faster the rhythm... any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My father had the same car (Ivory / brown int.)
I remember you could unscrew the speedo cable from behind the cluster.
Thanks for a great thread.
Cheers
post #113 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Alternator is finally installed. With the help of mercmad I was able to fabricate the brackets needed for the conversion. The hardest thing was to find a 10x160mm bolt, but I did find one. I used the stock adjustor with a slight mod and it did work. Pulleys line up.
I removed the radiator, cleaned up the fan and the pulley, I tried to remove the water pump but it wasn't coming out, so I removed the whole assembly from the block. I used a thin flat screw driver and slowly the pump came off. It was the original pump. I went to the gas station and got a gallon of diesel. Sprayed it all over the lower part of the engine block, let it sit and then pressure washed it. I did remove the inline fuel filter (Mahle kl24) don't know if it is stock or not, but when I tried to blow some air through it with my mouth, it was barely coming out of the other end. I put a new one, fuel lines were OK. Found out the transmission cooler is part of the radiator assembly... Radiator looks OK, upper hose will be replaced, lower looks good. I will sand it down lightly and then paint it black. Straighten some fins, the thing that surprised me the most was the amount of sediment that I found all over the cooling system. The bypass hard line was blocked. The water pump, well see for yourself. The thermostat, the hoses, the radiator itself, too much "muddy" like stuff. I don't know if it is the type of antifreeze they used, (part of it was very green when it was coming out, part of it was brown) but I will used the $30 a gallon MB this time. I was able to find the alternator plug together with the spade connectors, here are the part numbers: 005-545-02-28 plug ($4.50) need one, 000-546-78-40 boot ($2.50) need two, and 000-546-79-40 boot ($2.50) need one. I am waiting for the water pump to come in the mail, so tomorrow I will drop the gas tank, see if I can find a 17mm nut to undo the drain valve, see how that filter looks like...

Last edited by CRJ9Driver; 03-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.
post #114 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
I like the wine jug next to the radiator. That's what you need for the task you've taken on!

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #115 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1962 220S(200d engine),1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75,1984 500SL
did you already get a size for the belt you need? i took brackets and bolts off a factory alternator 250se and mounted to my block perfectly (but i forgot to grab the crank pulley so i need to make my water pump, soon to be alternator belt)

111 1962 220s (200d engine)
1995 S350
1983 300TD
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75
post #116 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
There seems to be a rhythmic "tik tik" coming from the instrument cluster as I was driving today, just around the block, I saw 30 mph... It has to do with the speed, the faster I go the faster the rhythm... any ideas?
The speedo cable is probably frayed in the housing . You can buy them new from the classic center and changing them is a 1/2 day job.
post #117 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I had the speedo cable custom made by a speedo cable shop in LA. I sent them my old one which was cut in half and they made me this one. This was the first time it was tested on the actual car, but before installed it was moving free inside the housing... It was $70.00 plus tax... Shpoop...

post #118 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
UPS delivers late at night and since tomorrow I had to go back to work, I decided to take care of the engine bay. Took me all day. But it was worth it... I was at Lowe's and found this flat Ivory spray paint. I could not believe my eyes as it was 90% match. I wet sanded every where I could, removed brackets, wires, masked and went to town! Two cans, I think it was $4.99 each, 4 coats, pictures don't do it justice... I will take some better ones once I get back from work, but for now here they are... No more primer as it was driving me crazy... Next will be the doors.
Alternator is wired, (forgot to remove the regulator, but I will) rear deck with speakers is done, floors are done ready for carpet. OE radio/amp are in, I tucked all the wires underneath for a nice clean look. No more wires hanging underneath. Still need to cut the two lower panels out of MDF for the front speakers that the OEM radio will power. No center dash speaker. A Kenwood KAC-x20 will power the rear JL's and an Infinity BassLink will be in the trunk. My Ipod will be on the Amp via RCA-to- Ipod cable.
Sanded and painted the radiator fan and the pulley. Radiator received a fresh coat of paint and it looks as new...
UPS just got here...

Last edited by CRJ9Driver; 03-11-2010 at 09:55 PM.
post #119 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Belt size was 7365... Went to the store 3 times... Got up this morning and put in the new water pump, thermostat, then the pulley, fan, then dropped in the radiator, new both upper and lower hoses, cleaned up the wiring, got a brand new battery, new battery ground cable, was glad to find the battery box in one piece, some superficial rust that was able to sand away. POR15'ed it, used an old tooth brush and cleaned up the carburetors , got the new Bosch Red coil on, and then waited for the UPS guy to bring me the MBZ Antifreeze... Two gallons. Checked all connections, all hoses, mixed it with distilled water, and purred it in. Choke in position two, cranked the starter and she fired up with half a turn. Kept the choke out for 3 minutes and then pushed it in. That was the point where she would normally die, idle too low. Not this time! She stayed on. Idle was perfect, the solex's with out air-filter on, sounded more like a big V8... Put the bucket up side down inside and drove around the block, then off to the main street... Odometer works, speedometer works, temperature was 180 steady, I never saw her go higher I had her idle for more than 20 minutes to get the levels right... I also think I found out what was that sound... The speedo cable was not pulled out all the way from the housing so it was bent. I stretched it out and it went away. I drove her two miles today... Took her up to 50 mph, I love the sound sans air filters... I think I will take her to my old friend down Blackstone and have him open up the exhast (2.5 all the way)...
I still need to replace the gas tank filter and I just bought the 22mm hex

Last edited by CRJ9Driver; 03-17-2010 at 12:35 AM.
post #120 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I was buffing the valve cover when the pad on the cordless grabbed the No 4 wire and twisted until it snapped... it happened so quick... 2 miles on the whole set... I just ordered another one... hope your guy's day goes better than mine. Done for today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in