LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
new to the site pink 280s

well i recently became involved with a girl who just happens to have a pink 73' 280s. And apparently it has some issues, it does not go over 30 apparently there is a problem with the transmission. I honestly dont know much about the situation. But she has already put alot of money into this car and is still not driving it. So i am wondering if just going with like a chevy v6 or something is a more feasible route. Its not something i am a fan of doing but it seems like it would be the cheapest and most resonable route, but i am asking you guys. and its supposedly a 280s but its a 8cylinder, and i was under the impression they only came with the 6cylinder? it is an auto

and are there any threads like this floating around? VWvortex Forums: slammed benz's pic post

try not to be to harsh, i am not a benz guy. but i am very into euro my current daily driver project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Has it got vertically stacked headlights, or horizontal ones? Does it have "3.5" or "4.5" on the right side of the trunk lid? It sounds like a very late W108 with the 4.5 liter V-8.

Changing the drive train is not an option. Sell the car and buy something that runs if you don't want to go to the trouble of getting the original drive train operational. Don't butcher a fine old Mercedes for convenience--let it go to someone who will try and repair it or part it out for other projects. There is nothing sadder that a Mercedes with a cobbled in American drive train.

Take it to an independent shop that specializes in MB and have them diagnose the problems. If she has been taking it to Pep Boys, it's no wonder it's a mess.

The car may be beyond a reasonable repair bill to fix. W108 V-8s are worth about $5k in good daily driver condition.

Pink? What, is she a Mary Kaye prize winning sales rep?

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
well i havent got to check out the car all that much. her and i havent been talking that long. so i havent even go to take pix yet, but they will be posted soon i assure you. and i think she is running out of money :/

see her and a boyfriend went and got the car. long story short the car is now at some shop $2000 later and the boyfriend is gone. ive not even really got to check out the car yet. shes made it out that transmissions and engines are super hard to find, i assumed she looked. but now that i actually start to look stuff seems to be rather cheap and plentiful in my area. but still just trying to get this all figured out.

my family actually owns a small shop, we build 7-8customer cars a year. maybe one euro, but we've been in a super chevy or two.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
You seem to have made up your mind since you don't respond to my comments and just keep talking. Do what you like.

Since you don't seem to know much about the car, and you know even less about the girl, maybe you ought to learn more about both before you trouble the folks on this forum.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
how was i suppose to respond to a question i didnt have an answer to?
but i would say - well i havent got to check out the car all that much. her and i havent been talking that long. so i havent even go to take pix yet
was an answer to- Has it got vertically stacked headlights, or horizontal ones? Does it have "3.5" or "4.5" on the right side of the trunk lid? It sounds like a very late W108 with the 4.5 liter V-8.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Wow, everyone seems to be moody these days! E440 4Matic got mad at me in public because I don't like diesels and DrJfrmLA seemed rather put out that someone didn't answer his questions appropriately or to his satisfaction...

Goodhews, when you're going 30, is the engine racing? Or is it barely running? Is it an engine issue, or a really slipping transmission issue?

You'll find two flavors of Benz fans - the type who feel it's unholy to put in an American drive train and keep a great car on the road, and the types who don't care as long as a great car is kept on the road. I'm in the latter group - my Benz gets about 17 MPG on the highway and 12 in town. I can buy a modern V8 with much better milage that's easier to repair, cheaper to repair, and more plentiful. I've got a 300SEL that's probably destined for a hemi swap some time in its future.

If/when you do some sort of engine swap, post pictures and how you did it. I'd like to see your progress!

Just don't use a diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in