post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help - Doing some maintenance..

Hello All,

Continuing to do some needed maintenance on the 75' 240D. I got the Chilton manual, but as we all know there are things that Chilton is not so clear on. I like Haynes much better, as they do not cover such a wide range of cars and years in one manual as Chilton seems to do.
I have a couple questions.

1. Injection pump oil. It says to remove the level screw and fill until oil is just up to the edge of the hole. Problem is, I'm not sure which screw to remove to check the level.

2. Looking to change the manual transmission fluid, it appears I need a 14mm allen wrench to remove the drain and fill plugs. It that correct? I used a caliper and that's what I measured. It also looks like there is a crush washer on the drain bolt. I'll have to get that from the dealer, but does anyone have any idea on a torque setting for the drain and fill bolts?

3. I thought I would drain and fill the differential. The manual says use Hypoid gear oil SAE 90W. I can't find any straight 90W at my local Autozone or Advance Auto parts. I even went to TSC, a farm and fleet place, and they did not have straight 90W. What should I use? Also are there any crush washers back there that I will need to get? And again, how about a torque setting?

4. Lastly, a few weeks ago, while driving it home, I noticed that it was a little rough getting into 2nd gear. There was a small grind if you tried to shift too fast into 2nd. If you shift really slow, it didn't grind. I was told by the guy I bought it from that this was adjustable. While I was under the car looking at the transmission, I noticed that there are 3 rods coming from the gearshift lever to the side of the transmission, and they are adjustable. Has anyone messed with these to get rid of this grinding while going into gear problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I'm excited to get this old girl back on the road.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1973 W115 200 /8
2. 14mm Allen sound correct..
3. SAE 85-90W or 80-90W will do the job fine.. If you live somewhere warm, go for the highest possible combination, If you live in Alaska, you could go for 75-90W too . I think the rear axle has conical plugs, and you just tighten them..

4.The adjusting can be a bit frustrating. But before you start on that, make sure you replace the three little bushings on the gear-box-levers first.. There is a new type available at your dealer for a few dollars. The old ones tend to fall apart.
If you replace the old ones, then you might try adjusting.. (You should be TWO, before attempting that though..)

1991 W140 400 SE - SOLD !!
1973 W115 200 -For sale as project.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2009
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help, I'll get the bushings on order today. Sorry, but I'm not understanding the following statement, can you clarify?

"If you replace the old ones, then you might try adjusting.. (You should be TWO, before attempting that though..)"
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: