post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changing oil in a 75 240D

Hello all,

Just got around to changing the oil for the first time since I got the car. It appears that the filter I bought is a slightly different diameter and design that the one I pulled out. From what I can read on the one I pulled out, it's a Napa Gold 1010. I also did not see a seal between the canister and the engine, but it might be on the bottom of my catch pan. I also found a plastic piece floating in the catch pan, it's about the diameter of the filter. I believe that I figured out how it goes back in, but just wanted to confirm. From what I can guess, the side with the lip goes up. The bottom simplly has a built up area around where the bolt goes through. I looked at the Russian exploded parts views and it looks like I am correct. There was a spring under the filter, with one end of the spring being attached to a flat washer. In mine, the flat washer was against the filter, but in the diagrams on the Russian site it looks like the washer goes down against the floor of the canister. I may just have to take this handful of parts over to the MB dealer and make sure that I am doing in right.
Can anybody help?

The flat round plastic disc piece, does the boring looking side go down against the filter?

Does the spring under the filter go with the flat washer towards the filter, or against the floor of the canister?

I can take pictures of this stuff if anybody thinks it will help.

Thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2004 S500. 2000 CLK430 Cab, 1999 C43 AMG. 1999 S500. 1999 S320. 1977 230 4 spd, 1972 280SEL 4.5
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to all who responded!

I looked at the sites suggested in the responses. The pictures on photobucket show what I believe is the filter assembly that points up towards the underside of the hood, mine is under the car next to the oil pan. The russian site looks like mine, but when I pulled my spring out, it was in upside down, it looks like the flat side of the spring points towards the bottom of the oil filter housing. I should be getting the oil change kit (Filter, seal, and crush washer) tomorrow, and at this point, I think I know how it all goes back together. Thanks for the help everybody!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in