post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1981 300 TDT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1969 250 Transmission Question

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, and my first Mercedes. I am very excited to have found this forum and have looked at several of the cars in the gallery. You all have some beautiful cars!
I’m in sunny Phoenix, AZ by the way and my name is Lorin.

Anyway, on to my question:
I have bought a 1969 250. It needs a transmission, the one it has is completely shot. It's got metal in it and the car won't budge in any direction. The transmission shop said they can do a complete rebuild or I can find another for them to put in. I have found a few different transmissions from what I perceive as a newbie to be "similar cars." I asked them what other models have similar transmissions, but they said "you just need to eyeball it and see if it works." This statement doesn't make sense to me. He said they have no way to tell if it works based on a lack of literature on the subject, but I thought to myself that surely someone else has had this problem before or knows what models use the same transmission.
Sorry in advance if many other newbies ask the same question, I did a forum search first and didn’t find anything helpful that had already been asked.

Also, one more question. I know for many other classic cars there are parts catalogues or reputable online retailers for parts and accessories. Is there anything like this for Vintage Mercedes? I know for VW there is MidAmerica Motor Works and Impalas have Impala Bob’s catalogue, just wondering if there was something similar that I could order or check out online.

Thank You!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Call Nick (don't email) at Sun Valley (Calif.) Mercedes Dismantlers.
Used Mercedes parts,rebuilt mercedes transmissions, new mercedes parts
He'll tell you what fits in what, and also advise you on your options and give you his opinion on the best course of action for you. All you have to do is ask.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1981 300 TDT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you, I will call tomorrow during business hours
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: