post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1973 280SE 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1972 280SE 4.5 Drive Shaft Question

I decided to replace the driveshaft components - U Joints Carrier Bearing etc. There is a centering bushing on the end of the smaller shaft which I cannot get out. It needs to be replaced because the seal is bad. Can someone tell me how this part is removed from the small shaft or even if it is removable?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just went through this with my W114, 280C. If it is just the little seal being broken as mine was, I wouldn't worry about it. I ordered the sleeve/bushing, and just like you, I couldn't get the old one off. It is really in there. I went to my local indy and he said unless there is slop in the bushing and corresponding output shaft, don't worry about it. It's just a dust and moisture seal. I have since looked at the shop manual and it says to drill a hole on opposite sides into the bushing close to the shaft and then stick a pry bar into the holes and pry it out. Anyway, I put it back together with new flex discs, center support and bearing, and it works great. If there are any cracks in your flex discs, replace them. They're also inexpensive, and if one fails it'll tear up the whole underside of the car. Somewhere on one of these forums there are pictures of a 35 mph front disc failure that destroyed the back of the transmission and tore up the floor. Mine were both cracked and warped, and I had a pretty good 35-40 mph vibration that I couldn't find. I kept blaming it on tire balance. The driveshaft work cured it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765 (704 x 396).jpg
Views:	617
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	246572  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1973 280SE 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My buddy tried to heat the small shaft to get the bushing up and wound up melting the plastic inside so ill have to replace it. I found a job guide in this forum so ill give it a try. Looks like it will be fun . Ill let you know.

By the way...Nice ride.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: