LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi Emre-K

Thank you for the great info! Yes it is true, we are not hammering our engines, so why all the cost if it won't be of any benefit? Sorry for my misquote, stating a 25W50, yes I will be using a 20W50 as it is readily available in SA from the following manufacturers, Shell, Total, Caltex and Castrol. It is really interesting to note that Mobil 1 is not a "true" synthetic. It is extremely expensive in South Africa!! Is Amsoil a "true" synthetic? Do you have any knowledge on Total 5W40 Racing Synthetic? Any good? It is available in our town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: '87 190E 2.3-16
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gerber View Post
Thank you for the great info! Yes it is true, we are not hammering our engines, so why all the cost if it won't be of any benefit? Sorry for my misquote, stating a 25W50, yes I will be using a 20W50
That's the way I look at it, anyway. I understand the benefits of Group IV/V race lubes in highly-strung race engines or modern street engines with extremely long (>15K mile) oil change intervals. But I really don't buy into the "benefits" of synthetic oil on low-revving V8s from the dinosaur era

Quote:
it is readily available in SA from the following manufacturers, Shell, Total, Caltex and Castrol.
I'm sure any of them would be fine. Porsche guys seem to bash Castrol GTX lately, but BMW guys still swear by it. Some people trash Shell Rotella, but others think it's fantastic. There seems to be a lot of fanaticism when it comes to oil. I honestly think as long as you change the oil every 3K miles, you could probably use olive oil and it wouldn't matter too much

Quote:
It is really interesting to note that Mobil 1 is not a "true" synthetic. It is extremely expensive in South Africa!! Is Amsoil a "true" synthetic? Do you have any knowledge on Total 5W40 Racing Synthetic? Any good? It is available in our town.
Last I checked, Mobil 1 used Group III base stocks...just like Castrol Syntec, Royal Purple, Valvoline Synpower, and most other oils that are marketed as "fully synthetic."

Amsoil has always used Group IV base stocks. It's probably the most widely available true full synthetic on the market. Red Line, Motul 300V, Elf/Total, and Torco SR-5 (but not SR-1) are other relatively common choices for Group IV/V full synthetics.

The way I see it, if I'm going to spend the money on a "synthetic" motor oil, I want to make damned sure it uses PAO or ester as a base stock. To cut through the marketing hype, just see if the manufacturer mentions Group IV or V in their literature. If not, you can bet they're using a hydrocracked petroleum base stock. How much you're willing to pay for that is up to you.

Cheers,

Emre
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Quote:
Hi Emre-K. I just thought that by switching to synthetics, I will benefit from their good performance. But from all the info you guys gave me, I am going to stick to a good quality mineral oil like Mobil or Total. I think I will stick to a 25W50.

Ebouwman, can you tell me how a block heater or oil pan heater works? is it a fitment you put on the engine or simply a heating system you put under or on the engine? Excuse me for sounding silly, I just never seen one before

Eirik, You let me think back about my military service in the South African defence force, back in the old days when it was still compulsary to do military service. I was on a 10 day camp at a military base in Kimberley. There I experienced the coldest days of my life!! Not nearly the minus 20 or 30 degrees you have, but it was around minus 7 degrees.... Very cold for someone used to 35 to 40 degrees celcius... I remember struggeling to put ammo into the magazines with my blue fingers....
Wow, i kinda forgot about that, where i live you simply can't buy a new vehicle without a block heater, they come off the car lot with them haha.

All a block heater is, is a little heating element that goes into the block into where the coolant is, and you plug your car in and it heats up the coolant a bit. They shove into the spot of a frost plug (i think thats what it's called).

An oil pan heater is a similar thing, but it's just in your oil pan. I've never really seen one though.

There are a few types of block heaters i think, i've sort of heard of a type that you stick in instead of a dipstick, but that kinda sounds dumb to me.

When you were out in that -7 degree weather did you at least have some gloves on? Cause really, without gloves on, and holding a cold metal gun, that would be very cold, especially if there was wind.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Hi Ebouwman

Thanks a lot for the info on the block heaters! So one learn something new every day.

No, unfortunately, no gloves... We seldom get such cold weather, so did not bother with gloves, which one later regret. After a couple of rounds, I did put my hands around the warm barrel, did give some relief!! (Beware of burning!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in