post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes-Benz 250C
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question New W114 owner. Many Questions

One year ago in August my parents and i bought a 1971 Mercedes 250. It is white with a blue interior, with the 2.8 liter engine. Yes, this is my first car.
Why is it that the rear door handles don't have a key lock?
When we bought it some one had tried to break into the trunk and drilled out the push button. We bout another on from a junker, is there any way to have the tumbler keyed to match the ignition key?
The bumpers also have some very awkward bumper"ettes" or overriders? is there any way to tell if they are a dealer installed option?
Also when the car is idling, in drive only, the whole exhaust muffler shakes and rattles the whole car. Is this just the brackets or is this something much more complicated?
Is there a way to get a new dash? Mine is cracked very badly.
Also how is the knob on the window handle held on. It looks to me almost like a rivet. Mine has somehow fallen out and i can put the knob back on but it does not hold up to any cranking.
Last thing what about map pockets. Mine are broken at the attachment points and hang on barely, one also is missing the chrome trim.
Any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02316 Resize.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	238398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02313 resize.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	238399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02312 resize.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	238400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02311 resize.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	238401  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I don't think the "bumperettes" are original, but you might consider keeping them on the car, given the countless morons "out there" who otherwise might cream your grille, etc. As for the vibration in drive, it's probably worn motor mounts, a fairly common cause for MBs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats on your new/first car! Looks like a pretty nice example.

Most of your problems should be covered by the Mercedes-Benz 50-year warranty on everything. j/k, a little hazing for the new guy.

I agree that you might want to keep the overrides, at least on the front, because SUV's seem to have been specially designed so that the towing hitch and rear mounted spare tire match up exactly with your grille and will dispatch it quite easily. The rear ones do look a bit more awkward because there are two sets visible.

I'd check the brackets for the exhaust first, very common and an easy fix, always start with the easiest remedy first. You should be able to get under there and shake it and see if it's tight or not, you may only need a couple of new bolts. Your dash doesn't really look that bad, especially for a dry weather car, but OEM dashes can be very costly tho I'm not sure for your specific model. You can buy a dash pad, some are fitted from shaped plastic that look almost OEM, rather than those carpet type ones that never really look right. I had a fitted one on my old Jag and you couldn't tell it was on there. Uses two sided tape and fits snugly to the contours. Most sedans from any manufacturer don't include key locks on the rear doors, it is assumed the driver will enter the car first in most instances. You will probably need to buy a new handle rather than try to fix the knob, should be relatively inexpensive on eBay, etc.
I just reread your post and the reply before mine, didn't notice you said it vibrates in "D" only, so agreed that it's likely a motor mount or maybe even transmission mount. A common fix and probably could be handled by anyone, but use MBZ parts to save you having to redo it again in a short time. Usually not a safety issue so long as it's not shaking you out of your seat. I leave the rest to the other knowledgeable members here, and congrats again for locating this site, it's a valuable source of information.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A new dash can be purchased, that said the cost will be only half as much as the labor to install. You are looking at $2,000. There are dash overlays that are nice looking for less than $100. Unless you are planning to show it in a concours, I would go that direction. Vibration is most likely the motor mounts, but you may want to check the rear flex disk as well. The holes in the disk can be worn causing it to vibrate the driveshaft.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have same vibration on the road, I may need motor mounts. How easy is this fix? Where can I obtain them, I have a 1972 250 2.8 as well. My car is near showroom new, just getting a complete exhaust for it, I think your car may need the rubber donuts that hold the exhaust system in place, get it on a lift to check it out. Anyone out there with a 250 that wants to chat with me: Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	best frontal.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	238670   Click image for larger version

Name:	best drivers interior.jpg
Views:	4219
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	238671   Click image for larger version

Name:	best right side.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	238672   Click image for larger version

Name:	best steering wheel dash.jpg
Views:	13242
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	238673   Click image for larger version

Name:	in the driveway.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	238674  

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like you need come crossbars for your radiator shell too. I have some used ones if you are interested.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: