So, it's been damp in the garage recently - a little more then usual. I've been driving the SL on and off for about a month with no problems (or, at least no problems worth mentioning for a 35 year old car).
It was super nice this morning so I wanted to drive it to get coffee. I removed the battery tender, opened the drivers door and <bang> on comes half the idiot lights on the dash, the fuel gauge moves to full (yes, tank is full) and I hear the fuel pump start...WTH ???
Closing the door sends everything back to normal. Uh-Oh, thinks I, a ground problem...
After starting it up (normally), the charge light (alternator light) stays on and the ignition switch won't shut off the engine with the door open - it'll run with the key OUT until you close the drivers door.
Now, I'm not a stranger to funky auto electrical problems since I own a couple of old ALFA's too. I'm assuming the problem has to do with the dampness and it'll probably "correct" itself when it dries out. BUT, I would like to fix the underlying problem. I haven't found my wiring diagram yet and I have NOT searched the forum like a good boy BUT, has anybody seen anything like this before so I can focus on the proper circuits ? I'm guessing a faulty ground related to the ignition switch and the small amount of current flowing when the door is opened (courtesy light) is freaking something out.