1969 280se Conv - Plz help a newb... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I believe the build sheet has the carpet info. Try the MB "Classics" center. Do a "search" on the forum for the number/web address and send them an email or call. They will email you a copy of the build sheet and you can print it out.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Contact the Classic Center and ask for your "data card" - Mercedes-Benz. That card will give you the options your car had from the factory. The body will be the most expensive thing for you to do, and a solid job will be over $8,000 but less than $30,000 depending on how crazy you want to go, which stems from what you're going to do with the car. If you're going to show it, you get the $30,000 job. If you're going to keep it and drive it, then do a $12,000 to $15,000 job that'll last a long time and show very well. If you're going for "banger", you can get it done for the $8,000. Find a shop that has done these before; DON'T hire some normal average shop regardless of the job you choose to do. You'll save thousands by finding someone with experience. Trust me on this one; lots of people have been burned by this.

Value when done: I have a 1966 250SE Cab with 86k on it, and the car is original, rust free, documents, and one previous owner. I estimate its real-world value at $45,000, but I might be able to get more with patience.

- Brian

1989 500SEL ECE
1966 Mercedes 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600

Last edited by POS; 08-15-2009 at 06:13 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gnecker View Post
Greetings all...
Thought I would post this by way of an update (and in hopes of getting additional questions answered).

Paint and chrome are done (or very nearly so) and the car just went in for a new interior. My big question of the day is this...

The car currently has black carpeting that must have been redone at some point. Is there any way to tell what the original color might have been? Is there a website that shows the original color combinations from the factory? We have the leather resolved, but the carpet is bugging me. If it is black, that's fine. Just want to make sure.

Thanks for all of the help and advise!
Sounds like the paint & chrome are all done "or mostly" as the gent stated. Can you post some more photos of the car? I never get tired of seeing these great car's. As already mentioned , contact the classic center for the data card on your car for the correct carpet color.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1969 280 SE Convertible
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fantastic advice guys! Thanks! I will call the classic center on Monday.

Here is an album with some prelim before and after shots.

I have a ton more shots coming and will post them when I get the whole project done.

Some details for those interested (The goal for the car is to be a weekend driver... that also looks sharp. ):

For the paint, I did some homework on the paint before I settled on the guy who did the work. I have friends who restore Porsches and BMWs, so their advice has been real useful. Looked at a ton of jobs from various shops. I chose a friend who does a mixed bag of painting from hot rods to bikes to a stunning (Pebble quality) 356. Real quality work (and also, thanks to the current state of economic affairs, had a ton of time on his hands to do the job properly and for less than he would normally), but definitely not a $30k job. It was a bit of a chance going with a non-"Mercedes guy", but the bottom line for me was the time and attention to detail he promised (and ultimately delivered). I'd be curious to let someone who knows more about these cars take a look at this paint job for comment.

Chrome (all 52 pieces of it ) was done by Pacific Plating here in SD. I am still floored by the job those guys did. It all looks brand new.

Interior is being done by a guy in Costa Mesa right now who came highly recommended.

Expect the finished car to be done in early October.

Thanks again for your help!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Time for another update...

Got in touch with the Classic Center as you all recommended. What a great place to deal with! Prompt and very very helpful. I now have the data card on the card and have learned quite a few things. The exterior color (173 - Anthracite Grey) is original. The top and carpet are not. The top was 742- Light Grey when new and the carpet was a Dark Grey Velour.

My question this time around is to see if there is any place that sets out the meanings of all of these codes. Some I have figured out, the Classic Center guys told me about the carpet colors, but I'd like to try and look this stuff up on my own.Is there a centralized spot that tells me what all these other codes mean?

Thanks again!!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
The Pagoda web site (Pagoda SL Group - Index) has a wiki with an excellent discussion of how to read datacards. Benzworld sometimes nukes competing site names, so that's

dub dub dub sl113 dot org

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1998 SL500
1959 220S
1970 280SL
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's not the original steering wheel. It's from a later one such as the 450Sl, W116, or the W114 W115 later models.

I want to add one of those to my W111 220S because the wheel is thicker and padded and easier to hold than the earlier wheel.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Figure it is time for another update on this project...

Interior is nearly finished on the car. Thanks to the Classic Center, we are going back to the original carpet color (Dark Grey) and sticking with the same original leather color (parchment).

I also opted to re-do the top (gulp!) and am going back to the original color there (light grey). I'm a bit nervous going back to the original color on the top as I liked how the black and anthracite looked, but it needs to be done and I'd rather hedge on the side of originality.

I'm hoping to have the car back from the interior shop by the end of this month.

Now for the begging for help... ;-p

When I was having the chrome done, the guys who did it took the front grill apart. If you know the car well, you'll know there are small strips of chrome on the exterior of the grill. There are tiny slotted pins that push into the grill. I'm missing most of those (@*&# pins. Anyone have a thought as to where I might be able to find a dozen or so (aside from making them myself)?

Thanks as always for the help. You guys have proven invaluable!

Last edited by gnecker; 11-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: W111 - W124 - W140
Be prepared to spend a LOT of money if you want the car to be looking and working as it deserves.
I do not dare to say here how much I spent in my restoration, I could not drive the car for 3/4 years, but now finally she is GREAT!
Look before and after photos

Before --> Restauro 1970 mercedes 280 SE - a set on Flickr

After --> 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE Cabriolet - a set on Flickr

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Filing this under the old axiom "in for an inch, in for a mile..."

Now that the interior is looking all nice and sparkly, the wood in this 280 is now looking like it needs to get done (especially since I have everything torn apart... might not have a better chance at getting it done!).

Does anyone out there have a good name for auto wood restoration? As the car is now torn apart in Southern Cali, I'd like to find someone in the area. Google has turned up a few names, but I'd like some first hand experience if possible.

And one other question (and I'm a bit worried about this answer)...

The car came to me with a black top. It was original from the factory with "742- Folding top fabric, Light Grey". I'm replacing the top on this car now and am trying to make the call of whether to go back to the light grey or to stick with the black. I've taken a look at samples from GAHH and am a bit confused as to which one "Light Grey" is. Anyone have any insight? Any thoughts of how important going back to the original color is in the grand scheme of things?

Last edited by gnecker; 11-15-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: