Does anyone ever convert from manual transmission to automatic transmission? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone ever convert from manual transmission to automatic transmission?

Hi all,

In the place I live, there is not much of vintage Mercedes Coupe available. You just grab what you are offered. Well. I am looking at 250 C with manual transmission. I am intended to use as daily driver and thinking of putting automatic transmission on the car - as I don't have the privilege to walk into vintage Mercs dealer and choose

If it is possible - what should I watch out for? Any modification I should do (i.e. brakes etc)?

Any input is very much appreciated!
Josh

Last edited by joshes; 02-16-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: mistype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Those manual trans are rather rare on that car.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420SEL
How far gone is the car as-is, and where exactly are you located? If the car is a really cherry example, I'd recommend not messing with it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Really? It's the other way around here. Mostly are manuals. Makes me wonder though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi, it is not cherry example. It runs but need restoration to bring back her to glory days. I'm located in Java, Indonesia.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: -88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
Hi! Yes it can be converted to automatic if you want to put some work hours into it.
You need a complete donor car for the conversion as you need lots of parts and details to do it.. Are used parts, parts cars available around there?
Come back for more advice if you launch this project
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Mbkomfort,
Thanks for the advise. Sure thing. The possibilities are that there are 4 doors 220SE or 220S with auto transmission. I doubt there is 250C with auto trans. Unless I buy from US / Australia / Germany.
Any thoughts on purchasing the tranny? is it worth it? Maybe I can contact junkyards and ask to ship it over? I dont know yet abou the price though.

How about the engine? Is it totally the same? If I have to change the engine, reshape the floor etc, etc, I may just forget about the idea. If it is a matter of changing or reshape the transmission mounting, maybe I can do that. Mechanics here arent as expensive as in Europe or US. So I can get an expert hands to help.

any thoughts?

Thanks to all who have contributed to help me out.
Josh
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: -88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
It's just "nuts and bolts", no welding, to convert it. But you need: flywheel, transmission, driveshaft, brake pedal assembly, tranny mount, speedometer cable, radiator with transmission oil cooler with lines to tranny, gear change assembly.
Most parts you can find on other models, but you need a correct lenght driveshaft for your chassis..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi MBKomfort,

again thank you for such useful information. do you know the code for the exact transmission that I need - normally, with American type, there's code or type for certain engine or car fitting. What about Mercedes. some kind of type or code?
I also found that there is facts there are 2 types of transmission: 3 speed and 4 speed. I want to get the 4 speed - but how to identify?
Also - is there a difference between Right Hand Drive (which is mine) and Left Hand Drive? Apologies for so many questions and thank you for such help!
Thanks again!
Josh
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
An automatic for your 250 C is very common here ( i have sent parts to indonesia BTW) and the trans is the same for right or left hand drive. There is a need for a column shift crossover link if you run column shift. if you have floor shift you just need an automatic floor shifter. All shifters from W108 right through to W123 have the same shifter. They look different on top but all interchange. You also need the electrical cable from the transmission to the ignition loom for reverse lights and starter lockout. With the trans it must come with the shift linkage,lever and lever base. Torque convertor and flex plate and in some cases you need the engine rear plate which goes between the engine block and bellhousing on the trans . On the front of the car you need to either install a cooler coil for the trans or a radiator which has a built in coil in the bottom for the trans. You will need the two steel lines running from the trans to the cooler.
The trans mount is the same for all models and the drive shafts are all the same BUT there are two different length front shafts so you may need the automatic shaft to go with the trans.
It's actually very simple to change over to automatic but takes about a week to do the job .
The trans you need should have a plate on the side saying 108xxx
See pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in