post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1975 Mercedes Benz 280C Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just got a 1975 Benz 280C Coupe

Greetings all - I'm brand new to this forum. I just picked up a vintage 1975 Benz 280C Coupe - red with matching hub caps and 16x,xxx miles. I haven't actually taken delivery of the car yet but its been paid for and I plan to meet the seller (came from a local estate sale) on Monday to sing over the title.

Having never owned a vintage car - I plan to drive it to my local shop right away for them to give it a once over. The previous owner said they bought it in 2007 from an collector auction for over $5,000 but he never got around to restoring it. Its actually in excellent condition and starts right up. He's driven it from time to time and always started it once a week and keep it safe and sound in a garage away from PA's salt filled roads. He drove it to the local auction house from a few miles away so that is why I'm driving it about 10-15 miles to my body shop. I actually bought this for the purpose of resell only but now my wife is thinking of keeping it.

Is there anything special I should look out for before attempting to drive it on the road? The brakes look good and it has new Goodyear tires on all corners. That's about the limit of my ability to check with older cars.

Do anyone have any idea on value? Like I noted before, its in very nice condition, engine looks original (but then again - I don't know what I'm looking at), body looks good with no dents, chrome looks good, one spot of rust behind the drivers front door, new tires and battery that I know of.

Thanks in Advance,
Ron Gerlach in
Mechanicsburg, PA
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: -88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello and welcome to the forum, If you don't know the recent service history, the once over /service that you syggest is a very good idea. Get some new fluids and filters in it
The vintage Merc's worst enemy is off course rust.
From the top of my head i can think of two "weak points" in your model; The heater fan/blower can wear out and is a PITA to replace, dash must be removed to do it.
The carburettor can allso give trouble beacause of wear and old age, will need to be overhauled at a decent carb shop.
The problem is mostly that those two items was made to last the cars lifelength, but these cars most times survive for several "car lifelengths"
Good luck with your classic Mercedes !
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: