New Member and hopefully new 108 owner gleefully anticipates advice... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
Thank you guys for all compliments

Bill so you were about to call me a liar Yes I did not know myself about the existance of the 2.8 w109 until I came across this one, and after a short research I did not think twice and bought it. Maybe not as desireable, but sure are more rare than the 6.3 version. As far as the Gun...It's a SIG 229 limited edition...Chromed and engraved, with gold plated trigger, releaser etc. and a wooden grip...It is beautiful, and for a skinny guy like me I think 40 is about right As far as your wife having a glock 40...

DrJfrmLA I agree that these are very elegant cars... As far as cabriolets go, I have never been a fan of them for any make. I always thought that the canvas roof takes away the beauty and makes the car look incomplete. Even though a w111 cab can bring double or sometimes tripple amount of what a w111 coupe can bring, I think the coupe's roof is far more gorgeous and unique and the car overall looks way classier, that's just me.
I'll take that curved roof and rear glass over a canvas top a flexible rear window any day.

nonextant Sorry I hijaked your thread did not mean to
But I wanted to mention again that in my opinion on some cars it ends up much cheaper to buy a more expensive car to begin the project with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
LOL it is in my profile, I had several in the years past but when you work on them all day long and many times drive clients home to verify and or locate complaints you seem to lose a need to further surround yourself with them. I spent 40 years making those cars and their problems the primary consumer of my life. I have an old ford truck that is still mine as it gets 11 mpg and I couldn't give it away. When the 204 came out we, my wife and myself were both taken by them. We discussed the choices, a new car and years more car payments...... or retire so I still drive the old ford truck to pull my boat to the launch ramp to go diving and the like. I was lucky and retired from a normal life while still in my 50's, I must its really late in my 50's but I made it as a mechanic so I know the American Dream can still be had. I do have a blacksmith shop where I spend a lot of time making art objects as well as custom gates and the like. Life is good my friend.
Bill
Bill
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Yea Chop, she not only has a Glock but she is better with it than I am.... But when I hit something it seems to be a done deal. At least thats what I tell her. My favorite gun for sure is a spear gun, been hunting the Pacific for quite a while now.
Bill
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
Eehhhh, I had plans like those...to retire when in fifties...I am 31 now but as shitty as things are right now, even the 20 yr ahead is not looking so bright...20 yrs sounds alot, but it's already 10 yrs since I graduated from the University, and did those 10 yrs fly by quickly...

back to square one

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I found that having a passion and then following it worked for me. I never had any investment plans during my career as I only wanted to play, it was the fault of my wifes that I ever ended up anywhere. I did enjoy going to work every day, it was like going to the playground. And as for the money, it wasn't all that bad. I did charge a load for my work but nothing left my stall until I liked it so I virtually never was without work for 40 years. I had created a following of sorts and I just plain got LUCKY. I'm here on this board because it's fun to help people when I can and nothing else. If you read my profile you may have noticed Master Guild. That was my PHD so to speak.
I wish you the best of luck, your still a youngster and have tons of time. Chase your dream, not your bank account and it will all work out.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in