LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rust Prevention and Internal Mirror removal

Thanks to everyone for there last reply regarding my identity crisis, now another question, rust prevention, what is the absolute best product, as mentioned before my W111 has no rust, alas it now lives by the sea, I have looked at POR15 but any help is great. Whilst I'm at it, weather proof car covers, any good brands to look for.

Removal of the interior mirror, it must turn, slide or rotate but I don't want to force it, once again thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1973 W115 200 /8
Not sure about the mirror, but in the W114/115 they seem to be a little hard to remove.. Meaning, you have to use some force.. Just puch it forward, until you feel it should break was the words I got.. And did exactly that.. And the mirror came loose..
BUT, as I said. I'm not sure if it is the same patent on your car..

Have heard of Fluid Film ?
I've seen Fluid Film NAS, Fluid Film ASR etc, in conjunction with Mike Meyers grease.. And it sure looks good.. Even after some time..

1991 W140 400 SE - SOLD !!
1973 W115 200 -For sale as project.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2006
These old mirrors are all held in place by a spring mechanism that goes from side to side. they are meant to break away in case of an accident and I find removal is best done with a plastic non-mar wedge in combination with brute strength.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
easy out, tricky in
Grab the shank and pull toward the rear, no busted knuckles on windshield.
Install by positioning one side into receiver then use a piece of wood (2x2x6) held tight against shank side, the a sharp wack with a hammer into position.

Brian O
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi Ted,
You're in Melbourne right? I am in Brisbane. Nice car you got. If you want a standard 6 motor, I will swap you my '67 250SE coupe for your V8!!
Now, to car covers. I have had many old Mercs follow me home over the last couple of years (3 finnie sedans, coupe, W108 3.5), so there are quite a few with car covers on them out in the open.
I have been buying just the regular ones from Supercheap. They are like a paper type material. They lose their water resistance pretty quickly and end up just trapping the water in. So just 3 weeks ago I bought a Kenco cover from Supercheap (about $130 vs around $70). It is made from Tyvek (whatever that is). The cover feels more plasticy than the others, and in the recent rain we have had, it has held out the water with no problems. The leaves don't stick to it either. So to date, I am much happier with it. I got a large, which only just fit on my finnie sedan, so consider getting the next size up if you go that way. Measure the length of the coupe before you go.

Now for rust. My coupe had quite a bit of rust above the rear seat (from the rear screen leaking) and in the bottom-front area of the rear quarter panel (where the rear side windows drain). Also, water gets trapped by the bright trim that goes around the top edge of the rear window. I have had to cut out the rust, and apply lots of POR15 to make sure it does not come back. It is not cheap, but at least you only do it once. But don't do what I did and scratch your head during painting as you will have a big paint mark on your skin for about 3-4 days!

Now, being in Oz, you may like to look at the Ozbenz forum. There may be some more specific info on mechanics/services etc in your area. I know of some very good parts sources in Melbourne. Also consider signing up to the heckflosse group on google - it is an email group rather than a forum, but there are some really cluey people on it that don't seem to lurk anywhere else.

Cheers, Drew

Last edited by drew56cus; 01-24-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: forgot rust q
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 450SLC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another suggestion is the Electronic rust prodection devices, they do work and will protect every part of your car thats got a connection to the device, problem is finding one that actually works as its ment to. Try calling a few places in Melb that do underbody rust coatings etc, most offer the Electric cover for about $450 or so, i got quoted $600 for the electric rust protection and a full underbody deadener spray aplication. The rust guard was guarenteed for 5yrs i think, with them inspecting the car for any rust before hand.

I cant say for sure how well it would work because i never went past the quote phase as i had other things at the time i needed to spend money on, but a 5year warrenty is pretty good considering all the areas that can get rust in them that the paint wont get too.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: