LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
280SB Question from Newbie

I posted this question in the introduction forum then saw this one so I am posting it again. We need an answer soon. If we buy the car we will be back. My husband really wants an older Mercedes. I forgot to say we live in South GA near the Fla line. This is my previous post:
My husband is looking at purchasing a 1968 mercedes 280SB automatic 6 cyl-4 door which the owner says body is in good shape. My Husband says the owner is the second owner and has all the records on the car. He went to see it and says he would say it is in fair shape has a little rust here and there but not much. Needs a battery. Leather seats in good condition, wood inside could use a little work but not bad. Owner says she thinks AC works, heat and radio. She wants 4000 but my husband thinks it will need about $800 worth of work. What do you all think. Was her husband's who died. So is not being driven.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1983 240d AT; 1993 e320 AT
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello. Got detailed pics of the car?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately I do not have pictures because we have not purchased it yet. I can ask my husband if he can get some but I do not have a digital camera and I am sure the owner is not that technological because it was originally in the paper and she had no picture.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
The difficulty with your request for information is that without seeing pictures or having a more complete mechanical description any advice you get from this forum will be a guess at best. Old Mercedes automobiles are wildly variable in their condition, and the result is their price--or more precisely, their value--varies wildly as well. If the car you are considering requires substantial mechanical reconditioning you could easily spend the $4000 you are paying again in that reconditioning. Cosmetic restoration can also be surprisingly expensive, particularly if you have substantial rust issues (they are often hidden under carpets, behind panel liners, and otherwise not visible to casual observation). If you are content to have a car that needs repair or you are handy mechanically, these costs can be lower. If you want a more-or-less mechanically correct and cosmetically correct vehicle, you may be facing sizable expenses or time of your own.

Since you don't have pictures or an accurate description other than what you think or were told, the good folks that might be able to offer you advice hesitate to do that. We don't want to say "yes, that's a fair price" and it not be because there are things you didn't see, didn't know, or didn't tell us.

I think the blanket advice you will receive is not to buy the car at any price until you have some idea what you are going to have to spend to get it in the condition you want. If the seller has any hesitation about you doing what you need to find that out, they may be hiding something. It's probably not fair to ask for a week with the car to take it here and there before you buy it, but it is reasonable not to buy a pig in a poke. The seller is under no particular obligation to tell you everything that is wrong with the car, and--to be fair--they may not know. Caveat emptor.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I would recommend having the car assesed by a shop that actually works with vintage MB's. To have someone look the car over that isn't really familiar with it is a waste of time and money. I wouldn't consider it otherwise.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: