post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1976 280 looking for advice, died while driving

Hi all,

My 1976 280 has been making some belt screeching noises in the last few weeks, getting progressively worse.

I was literally scheduled to take it into the dealership today to get a nice look over, but I guess it wasn't soon enough. While I was driving, the engine suddenly stopped (it seemed right as it shifted gears). I lost power steering and such, it switched to interior lights as if I hadn't started the car yet, and it went into ''neutral'' (although in drive) and I was able to pull to the side of the road.

Now, the engine turns over just fine but it doesn't ''catch'', doesn't start.

I ask here first because my nearest dealership is about 2 hours away. Any suggestions or ideas on what the problem may be?

p.s. I am otherwise am amazed with my Mercedes. This car runs and looks superb for its age.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes and a suburban to tow them
First off, you don't have any decent independent shops near you? Most dealerships abhor these older cars, since they're older than their mechanics and they're not well trained on them. (Caliber and the classic center are notable exceptions).

As always, back to the basics. For a gasoline powered car, that's air, gasoline and a spark. If you have any mechanical diagnostic skills and the tools, you should be able to confirm the dwell is something other than 0 or 60 using a meter and that there is a spark present using a timing light hooked up to the center lead of the distributor while somebody turns the key for you.

As for gasoline, loosen the fuel line connection to the carb (with a rag under it to collect any gas that spills).

PS. Welcome to the benz world.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice! And the welcome.

I did find a shop that I've heard some pretty positive feedback from here locally. Yes, I wish I was closer to the classic center or caliber--the dealerships have treated me pretty well here, actually, and the problem I've found with the local shops is they don't care for the car. I've had it come back from a couple shops with marks in the paint around the hood where they had placed their tools, they use the cheapest parts they can get, etc. However, I have high hopes for the shop that I took it to this time.

Anyway, I will report back once I get the car back to let others know what the problem was.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had the exact same symptoms on another make of car and it turned out to be the distributor. Good luck!

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
follow up

Sorry for the delayed follow up.

There was no spark present; the complete ignition system test turned up faulty ignition points.

$11 parts with a lot for than that for labor.

So as far as my knowledge goes, it was not belt related, though I had all of the belts replaced to get that taken care of.

Up and running with minimal problems again!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Welcome to Mercedes Land
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: