BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheap fix for broken heat control levers
Early this fall I made the mistake of applying excess force to one of the heat control levers on my '74 280C. It immediatly began to move very easily while having no results. Clearly I had broken something.
I later removed the console, center vent, console side kick panels and a few other parts to get to the control levers. I found one of the nice aluminum castings had broken. No amount of searching on known MB parts sites revealed the needed parts.
I determined I could repair the part using two part epoxy (I used JB Weld). I mixed the two parts, rolled it into small cylinders, formed a small ring with the ID near the size of the pivot hole and pressed the rings to both sides of the broken part. The finished epoxy had a outside diameter of about .5 inches. To maintain alignment, I first used super glue to carefully glue the broken parts together. I did not think super glue had any chance of long term repair, but it would hold the parts together for the epoxy to be attached.
After the epoxy hardened, I used a drill to clean the pivot hole and a file to smooth and reduce the thickness of the pivot area as required. Ace Hardware provided the 3/16 speed nut to replace the lost original metric pivot pin fastener.
So far this repair has worked. The hardest part is getting to the broken part and replacing all the components after the repair.
1973 280 W114 (Driver - 140,000 miles)
1974 280C W114 (Now running - driven off and on this summer)
1968 200D (Engine rebuild planned)
1964 200 (gasser parts car) & 1966 200D (complete car - Got to run. Now to see if clutch can be repaired.)
1980 300D W123 (Parts car - engine runs, but trashed)
1981 240D W123 4 speed ( In sad shape when bought - many parts from '80 300D has back on the road. Needs work, but shows promise.)
1988 300TE W124 (Does not run. 180,000)