BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: '72 280SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'72 280SE dash and wood trim

hey all,

Firstly hello from South Africa. Can anyone shed some light on a supplier that might be able to supply me with the wood trim for the 280SE?

Ideally I need new door trim + dash parts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsan View Post
hey all,

Firstly hello from South Africa. Can anyone shed some light on a supplier that might be able to supply me with the wood trim for the 280SE?

Thanks
Contact Tom Hanson at the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Ca

9 Whatney, Irvine, CA, 92618
(949) 598-4850
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Benz Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsan View Post
hey all,

Thanks
Do you need the "parts," or the wood parts restored? Heritage Woodworks in North Carolina re-veneers the wood parts; Home Page
They are doing the wood for my 1966 250SE coupe. They do sell reproduction wood for SLs (113s).
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: '72 280SE
(Thread Starter)
Well the dash could do with being restored. It looks like one of the previous owners decided that a matt varnish was sexy, alas it wasn't. I am, however, requiring new wooden trim for the doors. They are too far gone to even restore, so replacing them is the only option.

thanks for the link, I'll drop them a mail
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
Restoring wood in 1972 280 SEL - Questions

Does anyone have a color photo of what the wood originally looked like in the 1972 280 SEL? Some areas are very dark (such as the dash corners and inside the glove box). Other areas appear to be bleached out, although the veneer is still okay. Was the veneer stained? Is the wood supposed to be mahagony? Walnut?

Also, was the original finish a gloss or a matt?

Has anyone restored the dash and if so, did you remove all the wood or restore it in place? If you removed it, any tips/hints/instructions would be greatly appreaciated!

Finally, what is a good source for the screws that hold the pieces onto the windows?

Thanks!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I redid the wood throughout my car. All of it was in good shape but needed to be refinished. I bought one color stain for the wood, and marine quality polyurethane to seal it all in (all from the local hardware store). My thought was that if a boat has wood finished to hold up to the environment, a car's wood would be similar.

I took off all the wood first, and marked which doors they came from on the back in pencil. I then sanded each piece by hand, to get off the old veneer and sealant, cleaned off all the dust, and then stained each piece with the same brush. I allowed the stuff to dry overnight, and then I sealed it with the marine grade polyurethane. I also allowed that to dry overnight, and sanded it enough to make it rough enough to take a second coat of sealer. In all, I put 5 coats of sealer on the wood, and it all looks like it's covered with mirrors. This was a longer process than might normally take.

The dash wood and windshield bow were more difficult. The layers of my bow were coming apart, so I glued them all together with gorilla glue and kept them clamped together with a C clamp. When the stuff dried, I sanded off the excess, sanded off the old stain and sealant, and did the same thing as I did with door wood.

The dash wood (around the instrument cluster and all) was damaged somewhat, so I used some wood filler to fill in cracks and dings. I also sanded down, refinished and sealed all that as I did with the door wood and windshield bow.

In all, if you have all the wood off and ready to go, you can refinish it in a weekend if you don't put on so many coats of poly...

As for screws, I would suggest going to a hardware store or Home Depot, and finding screws and doughnut-type tiny washers to replace the ones you no longer have. They're pretty cheap.

Good luck!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks for the advice and the inspiration. Could you tell me how to remove the wood in the dash or send me an email directly to guy.wendler@stamats.com? Thanks.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Uuuuuuuuuuummmmmm. Let me pull out some dusty brain cells ...

I took off the glove box door first - really easy. Just unscrew it, and pull out the glove box itself.

I then removed the air conditioning vent assembly - it just unscrews and comes out. Be careful of the temp sensor (long wire-like thing with a bulb on the end.

I also removed all the cover panels between the floor and the dash (they're all for cosmetic purposes but allow you access to everything in the dash).

Remove the bolts holding the heat/cold vent controls (do so by taking off the nuts, accessible from when you took out the glove box).

Remove all the knobs and controls, such as headlight knob (it pulls right off). The headlight barrel switch is held in place with a large diameter nut - remove it.

Remove the ash tray. The entire assembly will come out, and the wood just unscrews from it.

In a previous job (replacing the heater blower motor), I had removed the instrument cluster. The hard part was taking off the nut behind the cluster that held it in place. You'll need to do this too. In my case, I left it off after the blower motor job was done. It allowed me to gently pull out the cluster whenever I needed. Doing so will allow easier removal of dash wood.

Remove the radio. I'm not sure how yours is held in place, but mine had mounting brackets that I had to remove, along with the radio.

This was all years ago, but the bottom line is that you have to remove everything that gets in the way of taking the wood out (no kidding, right?)

The windshield bow was accessible by taking off the middle grill from the dash - there are mounting screws in there. I also had to remove some front door sill covers to get at the bow. I think there are more mountings for the bow, but I don't remember them - can anyone help?

As long as you are careful, slow and methodical, you'll get a really good idea of where the wood may be hanging up... Take it slow and it'll all come out easily.

Good luck!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Does anyone know a source for the screws and washers for the wood window trim pieces for the doors? I struck out at the local hardware store.

Update: I didn't find any screws or washers at the local hardware stores. However, I found them at the Mercedes Benz Classic parts store.

Last edited by Packard1807; 08-25-2009 at 07:37 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

I've made progress on removing the dash, but am stuck again.

1. How does the ingnition key switch come out of the dash so the wood trim can come off?
2. How do you access the instrument panel nut? Are you supposed to get your hand up there?
3. The side vents aren't coming off by unscrewing. Are they snapped on, and if so, how do you unsnap them?
Thanks for help - this is turning out to be a bigger project than I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in