post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 450SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Seats, Aluminum frame

Hey guys, i am replacing my old leather seats with some new leather EVO sports seats and to do this i need to build a frame with Xmembers to support the seat rails as the 450SLC i have originaly had the seats bolted into the sides of the car/transmission tunnel.

Now i have easy access to 40mm angle 3mm thick Aluminum lengths and was wondering if anyone knows much about structural safety and if 2x550mm lengths of aluminum of the 40mm angle would be able to support up to about 150kg?

I can get steel too, but will have to buy that, and i kinda like the weight saving of the alloy seeing as the seats themselves are less the half the weight of the originals too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefang View Post
Hey guys, i am replacing my old leather seats with some new leather EVO sports seats and to do this i need to build a frame with Xmembers to support the seat rails as the 450SLC i have originaly had the seats bolted into the sides of the car/transmission tunnel.

Now i have easy access to 40mm angle 3mm thick Aluminum lengths and was wondering if anyone knows much about structural safety and if 2x550mm lengths of aluminum of the 40mm angle would be able to support up to about 150kg?

I can get steel too, but will have to buy that, and i kinda like the weight saving of the alloy seeing as the seats themselves are less the half the weight of the originals too
3mm thick?
Is it anodised?
Unanodised 3mm angle is definitely not strong enough to support a car seat let alone one with someone sitting in it. And seeing as you are on the Gold coast,retro fitting of seats requires the installation to be inspected and a MOD plate fixed to the car. You would be acting illegally and if you have any insurance it will be null and void if the installation is not approved. As the Queensland transport sites says" get the idea approved Before you do the job".
Light vehicle modifications
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 450SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey mate, thanks for the link, i have spoken to a Approved Person regarding car mods and have been told i that the steel frame i have recently decided to make will be more then able to pass inspection, and i am getting a RWC done tomorrow and he said he will sign off on it and attach the plaque to my car for me. Seen so many cars off the road recently because of unsigned mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in