1976 450 sl 107 body 117 engine camshaft problems need advice fast - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 1976 450 sl 107 body 117 engine camshaft problems need advice fast

i am in the middle of buying a 1976 450 sl with 117 v8 engine . 180000 miles it has good oil pressure

the guy said it ran and drove good and just needed the battery charged and that it had been sitting for a while.

after paying for most of it we took last weekend to get it fired up charged the battery drained the gas tank cleaned all the filters fuel pump and a new battery.

we got it fired up and the engine knocks it is coming from the passenger side valve cover. then the guys buddy stops buy that the guy i am buying it from who used to be a mechanic, and said the cam needed to be replaced and that one cam lobe was wore. he then then told me how this came to be. he told me the lifter failed and would not allow the follower to travel hence wearing the lobe off.

my question is, is this right? or is it more likely that the valve stuck or bent and the head needs work.

if it is just a cam, lifter and follower does any one know where i can get used part resonable?

Last edited by oneoldhounddog; 09-25-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: parts inquire
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
REmove the cam cover,it has four boltas holding it down. Look at each cam lobe ,you will soon see the worn lobe. there is no follower or lifter like a chevy ,just a rocker arm which works the valve. there is a adjustable pivot,often cqalled a tappet. Just buy a good used cam and rockers . make sure each rocker arm is matched to each lobe and don't mix them up because they will wear really fast and you will be back where you started. Replace the cam and make sure you don't mix the cam timing up and you will be OK. Replace the tube on the top of the cam,thats the oiler for the cam and is usually the main reason cam lobes wear when it gets blocked.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2008
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advice

thank you for the advice and the speed of your answer. i have been doing some work on the guys home i am getting the car from and he is turning into quite the jew so i am losing my trust in him so i thought i better get some answers before i decided to close the deal on this car

once again thank you

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
run from it

If you observe a worn lobe,
ask yourself where the metal went.
chances are into the entire oil system,
bearings, for instance, ( fatal problem).

I am doing a rebuild - ring/valve on a M117
and am up to $1200 just for parts.

If the body and interior are "perfect" and car is cheap
it is worth the cost of a new motor? 5k-6k

At that mileage a rebuilt transmission is in the near future 2.5k

I do have a spare long block for that car.

Brian O
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: