Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Weekend Wrenching

Saturday I stopped by the Maaco bright and early and started putting the car back together. I got a decent way there with all being left being the molding.

Which I thought I would do when I get home. Foolishly, I left the molding clips at the Maaco which means I have to order new ones or stop by.

Driving the car home was a little stressful, I foolishly filled it with regular unleaded and it was pinging like crazy on start up and anything over 2000 RPM. I got some octane booster and added it which seemed to help. The rest of the molding will go on in a few days followed by a good cleaning.

I also replaced the battery because the old one was venting like crazy and causing me to choke every time I got near the car.

The electricals are a little funky with the windows wanting wind down, the radio is wired but the speakers are missing and the fuel sender has a mind of it's own.

The car is pretty dirty inside and out so I wiped it down I fitted one speaker into to make sure that the aftermarket kenwood radio was working.

I finally got rid of my 59 F-100 pickup truck. I didn't sell it but instead traded it for some work from a custom body shop in Wylie. The owner agreed to weld the sunroof back on the car that I cut off another 300SEL 4.5 that I parted out (the PO owner welded it up because it was leaking) and paint it. So I now have to get it running, get the suspension to rise and get it out of reverse.

Today, I took the SLC 5.0 to the shop and drained about 5 gallons of gas from it. I thought it would be wise to do so because of the pinging I needed the gas for my continued testing on the 280CE which is getting more and more baffling.

I took the pump apart and cleaned it out, the impeller was seized and needed a good dousing with brake clean to free up. the crap that came out was nasty and black.

I bought new hoses as the old hoses were perforated and the pump picked up air instead of fuel and then tested it off the car using a tray of gas that I set up.

The pump worked and pushed fuel at good volume so we fitted it back. The connectors in the car could only go on one way (big connector for positive, small connector for negative).

After putting everything back together, we got no fuel.
I pulled the fuel lines on the engine side by the fuel pressure regulator and I had no fuel.
Next step was to pull of the line to the fuel pump from fuel tank.

Even though I did drain the tank and replaced the strainer, it was dribbling whch I suspect to be dirty that had just settled at the lowest point of the tank so I blew and air line through it now got a nice volume of gas.

Plummed everything together and ...... nothing.

Next I removed the fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter (to the engine) and it's bone dry.

I could hear and feel the pump moving so I know it was working.

Next step was to connect the pump to to my jumper box so that I can run it without running the engine.

I could hear the pump run but I got no fuel going through. So (this where it gets interesting). I reversed the polarity and the pump started pumping fuel (all over the place).

Does this car have positve earth? I only know a few British cars that did and the last one I saw was from the early 60's.

Anyway, I bored out the connector on the car so that I could reverse the connections and put everything back. I then cranked the car and it still did nto come to life.

I again pulled the fuel line at the engine side to the pressure regulator and I got sprayed with fuel so now I know that fuel is getting to the front of the engine.

Next step was to check if the plugs were getting an electrical connection so I pulled the connector off one of the fuel injectors and put a test light to it and got no power.

I then check the power at the connector to the trigger point and got nothing... I did last week when I tested the trigger points.

I checked if the computer was getting power and I got nothing..

All the fueses looked good but power was coming to only 6 of the 12 fuses on that fuse block. The others had no power going into them..

This is probably why I am not getting any power to the computer.... what happened? Is there an inline fuse that goes to one half of the fuze box or a relay that I damaged?

Any advise is gratefully appreciated.

I decided to stop before my head exploded and I went home and charge the a/c on my 450SLC with R12. The We pulled a vac on the system when I went to David's shop more then a month ago. When I connected the gauges, I could still get a vac (slight hissing when I connected the hoses).

I charged the system according the pressures specked in my Haynes A/C Manual (it's an old manual and had the 450SLC listed)

Items on my list over the next couple of weeks are:

Fuel tank sender
Re-wire stereo and buy new speakers
Fix electrical gremlins
Buy new tires
Repair seat leather.

This has to fit in with getting the 300SEL 6.3 running and movable while this deal is still fresh.

Here are some more pictures of the SLC once I got it home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Looks real nice. I also like the plate on the 6.9. Also post pictures of the 6.3 I think it would be OK to have one 6.3 picture in the 107 forum. Maybe you will need to put the SLC in background to keep the forum on track. I love M100's.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a lovely pair!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
very nice!

Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncallo View Post
Looks real nice. I also like the plate on the 6.9. Also post pictures of the 6.3 I think it would be OK to have one 6.3 picture in the 107 forum. Maybe you will need to put the SLC in background to keep the forum on track. I love M100's.
Thanks, so far I currently own 3 SLC's 3 6.9's and 1 6.3. I'm trying to get down to 2 SLC's , 2 6.9's and the 6.3.

The 6.3 is in quite horrible shape, I bought it partially disassembled and non running. It took some effort to get it running but I finally managed to do so by connecting a small external fuel pump to a gas can and feeding it that way.

I posted a video of the car when i first got it running on youtube.

Here you go: YouTube - Waking up the a Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in