post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1979 Mercedes 240D Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Needing some advice on '79 240D gauges

I purchased a 1979 Mercedes 240D 4-dr Sedan, 4 spd, in May of this year. This is my only car and it is driven every day (garage kept). It sat in a garage for 3 years prior to my purchase. I've been replacing things as I find them since I know almost nothing about cars as my dad and ex-husband used to take care of them.

I performed my very first oil and filter change last week after watching the DIY online guide on I also replaced 4 tires, air filter, both fuel filters and fuel line as there was a leak due to dry rotting (sp?). I've now noticed that the odomter and trip meter are not working properly, they get stuck when the trip turns to 9. Also, the fuel gauge needle now only works when it feels like it as well as the temperature gauage. Have I bumped something? I did power wash the engine to get the excess fuel and oil off of it. Could that have done something to the gauges? If anyone has any advice in simple terms, I would greatly appreciate it as I am enjoying learning how to fix and take care of my new car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: