Olds V-8 in my 250c? suggestions? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Olds V-8 in my 250c? suggestions?

I have a '71 250c, needs running gear, I have a fresh '65 olds 330V8 and TH-400 trans with no home. How difficult would this transplant be? Engine makes aout 400hp. I once saw one on Ebay with a chevy 350/TH-700R4 the owner said it was quite a challenge. any help at all would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
I suppose you won't find "boo, hiss!" very helpful, but a 250C is an awfully sweet ride to butcher up like that....

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 ...

on German Star's comments. Why do a "hack-butcher" job on one of the nicest coupes that Mercedes ever made? No offense, but if you feel the need to do an engine swap, go work your "magic" on some piece of "Detroit iron"... a Ford Pinto comes readily to mind...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
No matter what your intentions or what you think about what you're doing, butchering a fine vehicle like the coupe does not make it "better." No matter what the outcome of your efforts, it doesn't "improve" the car. Find a home for the 250c where the owner will enjoy it as it is, maybe put a little money into it, and leave it alone. The Olds 330 is a great motor--in an Oldsmobile. If you need a ride, go buy something reliable. Short answer to your question: bad idea.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry to rain on your parade but your efforts would be better spent restoring the correct drivetrain for the car. Just my $.02
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 450SLC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, what a way to tell someone to get the hell out of a forum in a niceish way lol. Personally i have no experience with the car in mention but... Looking at the engine bay room etc i would think it would be a do able task, specially if u get something like a MSII to run the engine and just wire the temp gauge speedo etc into the stock wire harness, if u do it right and u dont do anything weird like have a massive bonnet scoop or 15" WIDE rear wheels i would think it will become a awesome car. Keep it tasteful is all i would say.
Tho this is all coming from a 22yr old with a 450SLC with MSII controlling fuel, LED replacement lights around and in the car, 18" AMG alloy wheels incoming along with a EDIS system to control the sparks. Who is also planing to get a body kit with slightly more flaired wheel arches with a full respray of the car, in and out, and a supercharger at 5ps to boot all to turn it into a faster and more efficient daily driver/track car for fun

Last edited by bluefang; 08-18-2008 at 02:32 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2005 SL 55 "k" 26K 1967 250 SL ?K 1984 500 SEC 242K http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercebman/
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's your car do what you like. It's not like there is less than a thousand left in the world. Before you do that there is a 280 se on the other site for sale that has a 350 and it is all done.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
Just being devil's advocate here...
I've owned two 250Cs, and while I agree with the masses that putting an American V-8 under the hood is not the best way to go, and will be quite the hack job, we all know that lots of folks have done the 350 conversion to deceased Jaguar XJs for example, because:
1) they love everything about the car except the fact they can't drive it...and
2) they have a found a way to make it go down the road.

I've driven a couple of conversion Jags, and if properly done can be used as everyday drivers. Wouldn't you rather see a sweet W114 on the road rather than in the crusher?

to gordon9: I've never done, or even seen one. My gut says it would be a nightmare to do, and you'll spend lots more $$ doing the transplant than it would cost to source a good used engine and trans and plugging it in where it was meant to go.

"...Forward...unflinching, unswerving, indomitable, till the whole task is done and the world is safe and clean."- WSC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I say go for it, but then, I'm not a purist and would rather see a car on the road than rust into decrepitude in the driveway!! While sweet, the 250's are criminally gutless. My dad put a mustang 289 into his 280 years ago, and had to do some obvious changes - driveshaft, steering and exhaust. It took him a while, and he's handy with tools, cutters and welding gear. It can be a pretty long process...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1976 W116, 450SE --- 1981 W126, 380 SEL--- 1972 W108, 280SEL---1963 W111, 200S
Good luck...I didn't want to mention it, but I am going through a swap right now. I had a 305 w tranny from a 82 chevy and have it in the car now as we speak...(not running yet)... you will come across crossmember issues... the way to get around it is by getting a custom oil pan made (creating a front sump)...you will have to use an external oil pump OR go with a dry sump which means relocating the oil tank to maybe the passenger side behind the headlight (removing the MB computer box)... a mini starter will clear the steering linkage and the oil relocation kit that will be necessary will clear the driver's side crossmember. you will need CC2 sanderson headers or your choice... the stock radiator fan of the chevy will not let you close the hood=electric fans... you will need to get a radiator that fits 1-2 inches forward and replace the front condenser/radiator coolant assist with an aftermarket condenser... you can choose to completely rewire the car while you are at it or just 1/2 do it and wire the engine compartment. Good luck... I can send you pics as I go to help you out. PS.. Don't get a high intake manifold b/c you need that extra 1.5 inches to close the hood...its marginal. you will spend some money if you have someone else do it...
you will initially pay for motor mounts, tranny mount, driveshaft. You can use Lokar cable kit to shift the tranny from the column or a floor shift. Good luck. I am doing this in a 72 280SEL, so some things may need to be modified for yourself, just a little guidance.
haven't figured out how to plug to brake booster to the chevy since the MB uses a threaded type and the GM uses a push on type, I will probably use an aftermarket CCP booster combo just for looks and easy install (change the thread ends to bolt to the CCP)...I need to check the specs needed to run the brakes...
you can drop the engine in and have it running for about 900.00 if it's you just want to have it running regardless of looks...I want the ahh effect when I open the hood, reason for not being finished.

500.00-custom oil pan (can modify stock pan for WAY cheap..this is completely custom job)
230.00 - driveshaft
40.00 - weld engine mount
30-40.00 - tranny mount. (I have mine mocked up with 2x4's on top of stock crossmember for now...not running car though...
100.00 -misc parts from junkyard...

I am using completely new parts to ensure to EARLY future issues...so I can't give accurate quote.

If you do it this way, you can keep all your wiring harness, avoid chopping the crossmember and you can save the engine/tranny and remove the weld job done for the 350 conversion and bring it back to "stock"...

take care.

It's not all that, But it's mine.

Last edited by verdejor; 11-22-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: